Girl footballers hope to make their mark at big European tournament
- Credit: Archant
A girls' football team will hold a range of fundraising events to fund a trip to take part in an international football tournament.
Thorpe St Andrew High School's under-15 team will be playing in the Gothica Cup in Sweden – a tournament open to boys and girls aged 11 to 19 and attracting around 1,600 teams from 80 nations.
The girls hope to raise at least £3,000 so they and their families can afford the nine day trip in July.
Recently the students and their coach and PE teacher Alistair Shearer spent a day bag packing at Sainsbury's on Pound Lane – raising £672.
Mr Shearer said: 'We want to keep the cost as affordable as possible. We've been bag packing in Marks and Spencer, and raised £800 and the girls will be taking part in a sponsored fun run over Easter.
You may also want to watch:
'So far altogether we have raised around £1,800.'
Girls' football is very popular at the high school with Mr Shearer adding that more than 50 pupils have played during this school year.
- 1 New BBQ takeaway set to open in Norwich
- 2 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 3 'We will come back stronger': Norwich restaurant to close for rebranding
- 4 To cross or not to cross? Pledge to trim back danger hedge at blind corner
- 5 'We do everything correctly': Norwich takeaway handed one star hygiene rating
- 6 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 7 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
- 8 'Sneaky and selfish' changes to bus route slammed
- 9 Diggers roll into village as work begins on 267 home development
- 10 Inconvenience store: Family business blighted by roadworks
The hope is that the girls can show off their skills at the tournament, which starts on July 11, and attracts well-known clubs.
The PE teacher said: 'They're constantly asking questions about the trip – everyone is really engaged with it.
'As soon as I mentioned it to the girls straightaway the uptake was fantastic.
'We're not expecting to upset elite teams, but we're going to see how well the girls can do.'
To help with the girls' fundraising efforts, email Alistair Shearer on email@example.com
Are you or is somebody you know fundraising? Email firstname.lastname@example.org