Girl footballers hope to make their mark at big European tournament
- Credit: Archant
A girls' football team will hold a range of fundraising events to fund a trip to take part in an international football tournament.
Thorpe St Andrew High School's under-15 team will be playing in the Gothica Cup in Sweden – a tournament open to boys and girls aged 11 to 19 and attracting around 1,600 teams from 80 nations.
The girls hope to raise at least £3,000 so they and their families can afford the nine day trip in July.
Recently the students and their coach and PE teacher Alistair Shearer spent a day bag packing at Sainsbury's on Pound Lane – raising £672.
Mr Shearer said: 'We want to keep the cost as affordable as possible. We've been bag packing in Marks and Spencer, and raised £800 and the girls will be taking part in a sponsored fun run over Easter.
'So far altogether we have raised around £1,800.'
Girls' football is very popular at the high school with Mr Shearer adding that more than 50 pupils have played during this school year.
- 1 Roads closed as armed police and dog units swoop on Norwich home
- 2 REVEALED: New leisure venue replacing Riverside Chinese
- 3 Huge chalet bungalow for sale near Norwich offers 'oasis' for £700k
- 4 Restaurant loses walk-in trade after months of roadworks
- 5 Cannabis factory discovered in Norwich home after police raid
- 6 Lakeside proposal gone wrong watched by millions on TikTok
- 7 Teenager holding knife chases boy along city road
- 8 Final warning for officer following clash between two women and cops
- 9 New courts, please! Tennis controversy continues in Norwich
- 10 Dodgy door halts city man's house move by MONTHS
The hope is that the girls can show off their skills at the tournament, which starts on July 11, and attracts well-known clubs.
The PE teacher said: 'They're constantly asking questions about the trip – everyone is really engaged with it.
'As soon as I mentioned it to the girls straightaway the uptake was fantastic.
'We're not expecting to upset elite teams, but we're going to see how well the girls can do.'
To help with the girls' fundraising efforts, email Alistair Shearer on email@example.com
Are you or is somebody you know fundraising? Email firstname.lastname@example.org