Norwich pub to host Christmas market with over 100 stalls
- Credit: Archant
The landlords of the Gibraltar Gardens pub in Norwich will get locals in the festive spirit by hosting a Christmas market.
Couple Jason and Julia Carter took on the pub, located in Heigham Street, in December last year and began trading in late February, only to close a few weeks later due to lockdown.
But the pair haven’t let the pandemic stop them and since reopening in July have held socially distanced live music events and relaunched as a steakhouse.
They have now revealed their festive plans, which will involve a Covid-safe Christmas market with free entry and indoor and outdoor stalls.
READ MORE: 9 Christmas events still going ahead in NorfolkThe event will run every Saturday and Sunday from December 5 until December 20 from 10am-5pm and there is space for 20 cars at the car boot sale, up to 100 stalls in the garden and 20 tables inside a marquee.
They are donating all the pitch fees from the first two weekends to NHS charities and are looking for local vendors to get involved, though there will be no food stalls as this will all be provided by the pub.
Mr Carter said: “We want to bring the community back together and people are itching to do things but there is nowhere to go so we came up with the idea for the Christmas market.
READ MORE: Find out when Santa is coming to your town or village“There will be a bit of everything, from Christmas trees, cards and decorations to jewellery, garden stuff and clothes and we’ve had lots of interest so far.
“We will be providing an early morning breakfast for the stall holders and then all-day food and hot drinks, with Christmas cookies and mulled wine too.”
Since taking over the pub, the couple have had a great reaction from the community and have been able to utilise their large garden with dining pods. Mrs Carter said: “We have a lot of regulars who have said that we have brought the pub back to how it used to be and breathed life back into the place.”
- 1 City folk baffled after being barricaded into their own homes
- 2 All you need to know ahead of The Killers concert at Carrow Road
- 3 School sacks suspended teacher after investigation and petition
- 4 Green light for park and ride, drive throughs and offices near Norwich
- 5 House price boom pushing city buyers out of the market
- 6 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 7 Fears Spurs fans may infiltrate home end at Norwich City match
- 8 Staff tuck into emergency honeycomb after bees rescued from city pub
- 9 When will work start on new Aldi store?
- 10 Owners of taco and gourmet burger trailers open restaurant in Norwich
Car boot and outside stalls are £10 and undercover stalls £15 - call 01603 667766.
-Make sure to join our ‘Christmas in Norfolk’ Facebook group for all the latest festive news.