Get top marks with a preppy look
For men this spring it's all about the 90s preppy look, says Emma Harrowing. Think granddad shirts, striped or checked shirts, chinos, jeans with braces and the ubiquitous plimsolls.
The schoolboy plimsoll was what many male fashionista wore on his feet during Norwich Fashion Week. It was a trend that independent men's fashion retailer Elements showcased on the catwalk as part of spring's new take on an old classic – the preppy look.
Plimsolls were worn with chinos, jeans with turn ups and braces hung down around the waist. The checked shirt, which has become a fashion staple has been given a rival in the stripy shirt, and of course to get some house points each should be layered with either a thin knit cardigan or blazer.
Once the weather gets warmer swap your jeans or chinos for a pair of cut off denim shorts or safari shorts, perfect for the summer holidays.
For a quirky take on the preppy look take a leaf out of Hackett's book with a blazer, checked shirt and bow tie or for a more laid back look do your style homework and layer a check shirt over a t.shirt and wear with jeans and plimsolls.
You may also want to watch:
If plimsolls are not your thing, smarten up your look with a pair of lace up shoes or take inspiration from spring's nautical look with a pair of loafers.
Find out how you can get the look by clicking on the photo gallery link at the top right hand side of this page.
- 1 'Disaster from start to finish': Parents slam school for failing kids
- 2 Power still out in parts of Norwich city centre six hours later
- 3 Resurfacing works to see closures on three busy city roads
- 4 New £64,000 bus lane could cut 80 seconds off journeys
- 5 People in Norwich fined £21k for failing to pay for prescriptions
- 6 Alan Carr enjoys 'delicious food' and leaves large tip at city restaurant
- 7 'Diabolical' - Fury over trees felled for road widening scheme
- 8 Family piano shop founded in 1887 is leaving the city
- 9 See how Norwich Castle's keep is being transformed
- 10 Roadworks to be aware of in Norwich this week
Don't miss Friday's (March 18) Life Matters fashion pages in the Norwich Evening News.