Get maternity chic on a budget
- Credit: Archant
Kate Middleton and Kim Kardashian may have the cash to splash on their maternity look, but not all of us can afford a new wardrobe. EMMA HARROWING gives her tips on getting a chic look on a budget.
Put together a capsule wardrobe that can be mixed up to create different outfits. A floral or monochrome print dress, tube skirt, vest tops and t-shirts and a pair of trousers will still work with the rest of your wardrobe after you have given birth.
Invest in a good pair of maternity jeans. Look for ones in a dark denim as these will take you from day to night.
Look out for maternity sales in the shops and online. High street stores are currently in sale and many including H&M, Topshop and Dorothy Perkins have maternity sections of pieces that have been adapted from their mainline collections so you can still have your finger on the fashion pulse.
- 1 City teen gets celebrity backing for prom dress
- 2 Class A drugs seized from three men in city woods
- 3 Pub closes for £5,000 refurb to enable it to serve drinks faster
- 4 Restaurant with 'interactive dining experience' to open in Norwich
- 5 City chip shop might be SINKING but refuses to close
- 6 Plea to get 5ft mega bush axed from busy pavement
- 7 'We just want to hold our son' - Plea for help to bring miracle baby home
- 8 Waiting game over fate of housing bid for former school playing field
- 9 Country pub announces closure due to rising costs
- 10 Teen slapped with six points on licence - but she can't even drive
If you have a friend who has recently become a mum and is the same size as you organise a swishing party where you can swap your ordinary attire for pieces from her old maternity wardrobe.
If you want to show off your bump look for items in soft jersey rather than Lycra, as this is more forgiving on the rest of your body.
Tunics with a scoop neckline worn with a long necklace over leggings or jeans is a classic and stylish way to look good throughout your pregnancy. It's also a look that can be adapted for work, weekend and an evening out.
Love it or hate it the empire line is the most flattering style for you when you have a baby bump. Also look for soft draping around the tummy area for a look that oozes mum-to-be style.