Future Radio boss Terry Lee says goodbye to Norwich
- Credit: copyright: Archant 2014
A popular local radio presenter and manager has left his role at Future Radio in Norwich after seven years with the station.
Terry Lee, station manager since 2011, was part of the team which helped launch the station in August 2007 and went on to become an established voice on air.
Speaking of the station's early days, he said: 'I was presenting the Breakfast Show on a full-time basis and so many people were texting and emailing in to the station, keeping me company in the mornings.
'It was brilliant how quickly listeners embraced the show. Over the years I got to meet hundreds of the listeners, always lovely, and obviously with great taste in music'.
Future Radio is one of most successful community stations in the UK, with 42,000 listeners tuning in monthly, and Daniel Childerhouse, chief executive at Future Projects, says Mr Lee has played a large role in this success: 'Terry was an integral part of the station's rise to prominence and leaves behind a leading community radio station which continues to broadcast outstanding local programming to the residents of Norwich and beyond'.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Lee was also instrumental in expanding the station's work with the Norfolk community. He organised and hosted various Next Big Thing events, showcasing local bands, and in 2009 embarked on a 'marathon broadcast' which stayed on air for 27 consecutive hours.
He worked closely with Refugee Week and Black History Month to help promote their activities and earlier this year trained locals to be community reporters on a project named 'Represent Radio'.
- 1 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 2 'We will come back stronger': Norwich restaurant to close for rebranding
- 3 Warning to others after mum breaks leg using park zip wire
- 4 Diggers roll into village as work begins on 267 home development
- 5 To cross or not to cross? Pledge to trim back danger hedge at blind corner
- 6 New BBQ takeaway set to open in Norwich
- 7 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
- 8 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 9 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 10 'We do everything correctly': Norwich takeaway handed one star hygiene rating
Mr Lee added: 'It has been an eventful period of my life, a time I won't forget in a hurry. Future Radio will always be special to me for many reasons, but one specific reason was that it introduced me to my wife. Nellie and I met as a result of her listening to my Breakfast show in 2008, and now we have a one-year-old daughter, Primrose. They both sat in with me on my final Future Radio programme last week, a very sad occasion'.
Mr Lee is moving on to work with 'Radio LaB' at the University of Bedfordshire.
Have you got a story for the Norwich Evening News? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.