Freya is all set to run first half marathon in honour of mum
- Credit: Archant
A woman from Wymondham is in training for her first half marathon to raise money for charity.
Freya Newton, of Melton Road, Wymondham, is running the Bath Half Marathon on March 1 for her mum Mary, 54, who is recovering from treatment for stomach cancer having beaten breast cancer in 2013.
Miss Newton said: 'My mum has beaten breast cancer and is now taking on the fight against stomach cancer. She is the bravest person I know, the least I can do is throw on some running shoes and raise money in her honour.'
Miss Newton is currently studying politics and international relations at the University of Bath.
Mrs Newton, also from Wymondham, was diagnosed with breast cancer in June 2013 and developed stomach cancer in May 2014.
Miss Newton said: 'My mum was really touched when I told her I was doing the half marathon for her.'
The 19-year-old began training in September and started a formal training plan at the beginning of December. She said: 'I am sitting exams at university at the moment so I've had to balance this with my training.
- 1 Quaint 'tucked away' house is for sale for the first time in almost 30 years
- 2 City pub 'full of life again' after busy opening weekend
- 3 See inside this £1.15m Bridgerton-style city centre period property
- 4 Vandals smash charity dinosaur trail T.rex and leave kebab in its mouth
- 5 Hidden city garden opening with live music and plant sale
- 6 Pub closes for £5,000 refurb to enable it to serve drinks faster
- 7 Teen slapped with six points on licence - but she can't even drive
- 8 Waiting game over fate of housing bid for former school playing field
- 9 'Killer weeds infesting river are threat to life', warns boat boss
- 10 ‘Porn addict’ Norfolk doctor who secretly filmed women struck off
'I've been getting up at 6.30am to train so I can get to campus on time.'
Miss Newton's aim is to raise £300 for CancerResearch UK in celebration of the heroic efforts of her mother – she has already raised £160.
To sponsor Freya, visit https://www.justgiving.com/freya-newton/
Have you got a story to tell? Email email@example.com