Freya is all set to run first half marathon in honour of mum
- Credit: Archant
A woman from Wymondham is in training for her first half marathon to raise money for charity.
Freya Newton, of Melton Road, Wymondham, is running the Bath Half Marathon on March 1 for her mum Mary, 54, who is recovering from treatment for stomach cancer having beaten breast cancer in 2013.
Miss Newton said: 'My mum has beaten breast cancer and is now taking on the fight against stomach cancer. She is the bravest person I know, the least I can do is throw on some running shoes and raise money in her honour.'
Miss Newton is currently studying politics and international relations at the University of Bath.
Mrs Newton, also from Wymondham, was diagnosed with breast cancer in June 2013 and developed stomach cancer in May 2014.
You may also want to watch:
Miss Newton said: 'My mum was really touched when I told her I was doing the half marathon for her.'
The 19-year-old began training in September and started a formal training plan at the beginning of December. She said: 'I am sitting exams at university at the moment so I've had to balance this with my training.
- 1 Noise concerns spark more than 40 objections to new city venue bid
- 2 Controversy reignited over 300 home scheme on edge of Norwich
- 3 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 4 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 5 Golden Triangle pub goes up for sale for half a million
- 6 Monster rats 'the size of cats' invade city - and get in via the LOO
- 7 'Turn up!' Groomer's plea to no-show pet owners
- 8 'More of a service than a business': Bid to turn pub into local shop
- 9 Chaos on ‘free-for-all' city street after double yellows disappear
- 10 Shoe outlet opens first city centre branch in former Carphone Warehouse
'I've been getting up at 6.30am to train so I can get to campus on time.'
Miss Newton's aim is to raise £300 for CancerResearch UK in celebration of the heroic efforts of her mother – she has already raised £160.
To sponsor Freya, visit https://www.justgiving.com/freya-newton/
Have you got a story to tell? Email firstname.lastname@example.org