Free-scoring Sam Butcher wins award after final flourish
A free-scoring batsman who produced a final flourish which took Eaton to the brink of promotion success has been rewarded for his efforts.
Sam Butcher has won the final Lucas Fettes Norfolk League player of the month award of a rain-hit season which saw Eaton pipped at the post by Divison Three runners-up Hingham on the final day.
In three innings in the final month Sam amassed exactly 200 runs and was only out once, including scores of 105no against Hingham and 86no against Drayton A. In fine form for the end of the season Sam had also scored a century (119no) on the final Saturday of July against Ashmanhaugh and Barton Wanderers B.
On receiving his award Sam said: 'Winning this award is a very pleasing way to end a season in which Eaton narrowly missed out on promotion. It is also satisfying for the team to have finished third in the Norfolk League's fair play ratings as this provides testament to both the enduring spirit at Eaton and the club's approach to cricket.'
Kerry Holmes, who presented the award on behalf of sponsors Lucas Fettes & Partners, said: 'Sam's remarkable run of form at the end of the season, including a century to help win against one of their promotion rivals, was a huge effort that saw Eaton fall narrowly short of promotion to Division Two. Such a strong position will definitely see him in the running for higher awards at the end of season annual awards dinner on October 12.'
You may also want to watch:
Another notable candidate for the August award was Robert Breeze of Happisburgh CC. In Division Two he scored 218 runs at an average 72.67 of including 102 against Hales & Loddon A.
- 1 'Dream come true': Norwich restaurant wins national award
- 2 Norwich man convicted of murder boasts of mutilating 'up to 30' cats
- 3 Should straight people go into queer clubs and bars?
- 4 Mum's pleas to move house denied despite GP's concerns over wellbeing
- 5 'Our lives are being destroyed': Neighbours' despair over noisy students
- 6 TikTok craze sparks calls to stop sale of beans to under-18s
- 7 See inside this quirky bungalow for sale near Norwich railway station
- 8 Norwich man wanted by police
- 9 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 10 Norwich man in court over more than 84,000 indecent images