Former Norwich pub/restaurant to be a hair salon
It never worked as a pub/restaurant so the landlord of a city centre business is now hoping it will be a success as a hair salon.
The former Basement pub and restaurant in Farmers Avenue, opposite the Bell Hotel, has also been known as Blind Pig and Over de Flames. It closed earlier this year and the new building is now being converted into a hair salon.
New tenant Emily Glasspoole, 23, from Drayton, said: 'It will be called Example and I will rent the chairs out so we will have eight stylists.
'It has never really worked before as a pub and restaurant, not since it was Owen's cafe bar, but the landlord's really keen that we do well.
'I have always wanted to have my own hair salon. I was apprenticed at 15 and worked my way up to be assistant manager at another hair salon before this.
'I just want it to be relaxed and chilled-out and homely.'
As reported, as Over de Flames the pub/restaurant was famous for its giant 'Challenge' burger. Customers were challenged to take home �200 in cash if they could eat a burger weighing three kilos with a 30cm diameter in two hours. The only drawback was that you had to pay �30 for the burger if you failed.
- 1 Quaint 'tucked away' house is for sale for the first time in almost 30 years
- 2 City pub 'full of life again' after busy opening weekend
- 3 See inside this £1.15m Bridgerton-style city centre period property
- 4 Pub closes for £5,000 refurb to enable it to serve drinks faster
- 5 Teen slapped with six points on licence - but she can't even drive
- 6 Waiting game over fate of housing bid for former school playing field
- 7 Reunion for workers from the historic city factory still going strong
- 8 Roadworks slammed a 'complete mess' as another cycle lane is closed
- 9 Hidden city garden opening with live music and plant sale
- 10 'Killer weeds infesting river are threat to life', warns boat boss
Evening News' reporter David Bale took up the challenge but failed and more than 30 people also attempted to eat the burger without success.
The then owner Sudeep De spent more than �40,000 on the business but he admitted that it was not financially viable to keep it running.
Do you know of a restaurant closing or opening in Norwich? Call reporter David Bale on 01603 772427 or email email@example.com.