Former Norwich clergyman to be VIP at Dragon Hall party
Jon WelchA Norfolk clergyman, who once lived in Dragon Hall, Norwich, is to be a special guest at the ancient building's summer garden party next month.Jon Welch
A Norfolk clergyman, who once lived in Dragon Hall, Norwich, is to be a special guest at the ancient building's summer garden party next month.
Canon Michael McLean was a young vicar in the 1960s when he was dispatched to a rectory in King Street to cover for a colleague. It was only when he arrived that he discovered that his new accommodation was the centre section of a building that dates back to 1432. At the time, Dragon Hall was split into tenement dwellings, shops and pubs with an extra floor level. What can now be seen as The Great Hall was split into two levels with extra rooms amongst the rafters, hiding the magnificent crown post roof from view.
Canon McLean's room included the sole surviving dragon spandrel that was to give the building its name when it was rediscovered in later years.
Now retired, Canon McLean will recall his days - and nights - at Dragon Hall and how the surrounding area has changed at the garden party.
You may also want to watch:
There will also be enchanting medieval music from Norfolk-based early music specialists Pearl in the Egg. The duo play authentic medieval music using instruments and costumes that are meticulously researched to be as historically accurate as possible to create a magical recreation of sounds from the middle ages.
They have performed at special events and concerts all over the country in venues including The Tower of London.
- 1 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 2 Cyclist punched in the face during unprovoked attack turned away by GP
- 3 Calls for lines to be repainted at 'free-for-all' city roundabout
- 4 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 5 Four more roads in Norwich to close for resurfacing work
- 6 Teenage stabbing was 'rival gang revenge’ for YouTube videos
- 7 New Norwich shisha bar one of the best and cheapest spots for Turkish food
- 8 'We promise to leave you alone': Unusual new policy for shop
- 9 Norwich man crowned Britain's Best Young Chef
- 10 Norwich mum and daughter duo shed 12st
Visitors are invited to join Canon McLean and Pearl In The Egg to enjoy afternoon tea in the courtyard garden of Dragon Hall, from 3pm on Sunday, June 13.