Former Norwich clergyman to be VIP at Dragon Hall party
Jon WelchA Norfolk clergyman, who once lived in Dragon Hall, Norwich, is to be a special guest at the ancient building's summer garden party next month.Jon Welch
A Norfolk clergyman, who once lived in Dragon Hall, Norwich, is to be a special guest at the ancient building's summer garden party next month.
Canon Michael McLean was a young vicar in the 1960s when he was dispatched to a rectory in King Street to cover for a colleague. It was only when he arrived that he discovered that his new accommodation was the centre section of a building that dates back to 1432. At the time, Dragon Hall was split into tenement dwellings, shops and pubs with an extra floor level. What can now be seen as The Great Hall was split into two levels with extra rooms amongst the rafters, hiding the magnificent crown post roof from view.
Canon McLean's room included the sole surviving dragon spandrel that was to give the building its name when it was rediscovered in later years.
Now retired, Canon McLean will recall his days - and nights - at Dragon Hall and how the surrounding area has changed at the garden party.
You may also want to watch:
There will also be enchanting medieval music from Norfolk-based early music specialists Pearl in the Egg. The duo play authentic medieval music using instruments and costumes that are meticulously researched to be as historically accurate as possible to create a magical recreation of sounds from the middle ages.
They have performed at special events and concerts all over the country in venues including The Tower of London.
- 1 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 2 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 3 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 4 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 5 Financial clause revealed in Rashica move to Norwich City
- 6 Post-Latitude covid has made me realise pandemic has a long way to go
- 7 Water starts gushing out of sinkhole on Norwich city centre road
- 8 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 9 Woman crashed into two cars after drinking at friend's home, court hears
- 10 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
Visitors are invited to join Canon McLean and Pearl In The Egg to enjoy afternoon tea in the courtyard garden of Dragon Hall, from 3pm on Sunday, June 13.