Former Norwich clergyman to be VIP at Dragon Hall party
Jon WelchA Norfolk clergyman, who once lived in Dragon Hall, Norwich, is to be a special guest at the ancient building's summer garden party next month.Jon Welch
A Norfolk clergyman, who once lived in Dragon Hall, Norwich, is to be a special guest at the ancient building's summer garden party next month.
Canon Michael McLean was a young vicar in the 1960s when he was dispatched to a rectory in King Street to cover for a colleague. It was only when he arrived that he discovered that his new accommodation was the centre section of a building that dates back to 1432. At the time, Dragon Hall was split into tenement dwellings, shops and pubs with an extra floor level. What can now be seen as The Great Hall was split into two levels with extra rooms amongst the rafters, hiding the magnificent crown post roof from view.
Canon McLean's room included the sole surviving dragon spandrel that was to give the building its name when it was rediscovered in later years.
Now retired, Canon McLean will recall his days - and nights - at Dragon Hall and how the surrounding area has changed at the garden party.
You may also want to watch:
There will also be enchanting medieval music from Norfolk-based early music specialists Pearl in the Egg. The duo play authentic medieval music using instruments and costumes that are meticulously researched to be as historically accurate as possible to create a magical recreation of sounds from the middle ages.
They have performed at special events and concerts all over the country in venues including The Tower of London.
- 1 Cannabis factory uncovered in former bar in Norwich's clubland
- 2 Team behind Norwich restaurants reopen closed hotel
- 3 Norwich pub welcomes eight new street food vendors
- 4 Heron dies after being shot six times with air gun in Norwich
- 5 Council to force landowners to sell so £1.3m roundabout can be built
- 6 Restaurant boss U-turn after row over trial shift pay
- 7 £1.3m property for sale on one of most popular roads in Norwich
- 8 Police swoop after £400k cocaine parcel delivered to Norwich house
- 9 Pair led to safety after 'taking refuge' in fire-hit house
- 10 Pedestrian crossing must be in before Aldi store is built, say officers
Visitors are invited to join Canon McLean and Pearl In The Egg to enjoy afternoon tea in the courtyard garden of Dragon Hall, from 3pm on Sunday, June 13.