Fitness fanatic Anastasia, 70, puts others to shame at her gym
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
It's hard to believe that gym-fanatic Anastasia Sullivan has just celebrated her 70th birthday, but she is determined not to let her age stop her from keeping fit.
The retired NHS therapist from Heath Road joined The Gym Norwich on London Street and has never looked back.
'I do love exercising, otherwise I wouldn't be doing it. People think I'm mad,' she said.
Mrs. Sullivan was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease eight years ago and said: 'Going to the gym has definitely stabilised it and kept it under control.'
Sport has always been a huge part of Mrs Sullivan's life and has a lot more time to concentrate on her fitness during her retirement.
You may also want to watch:
'My son, Markus, brought me along to The Gym and I signed up the next day. He's very proud I got this far, as it's keeping me healthy, so he doesn't have to worry,' she said.
Her personal trainer Xavier Gomez, 29, has devised a programme for Mrs Sullivan to improve her general fitness.
- 1 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 2 City fan park takes shape ahead of England's Euro 2020 opener
- 3 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 4 'People love it' - Landlady opens second pub in Earlham Road
- 5 Volunteer hit with £100 parking fee while collecting food for needy
- 6 Police seal off building site in Norwich
- 7 Stylish bungalow to rent on edge of Norwich - and it even has a hot tub
- 8 Police cordon remains in place after serious sex assault in Norwich
- 9 Man who took baby from Norfolk hospital to be sentenced
- 10 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries keen on Cherries ace
He said: 'Anastasia's improvement in fitness has been amazing.
'She told me that she wanted to join bootcamp, but I didn't permit it. She is now coming to bootcamp and many other fitness classes!'
The 70-year-old usually trains every day, sometimes doing two classes a day, and then rests on Sunday.
'The endorphin levels after classes are great. I work hard and then feel really good once I've finished,' she said.
Mrs. Sullivan has never had any injuries and said it is all down to Mr Gomez.
'If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be where I am today,' she said.
General Manager at The Gym Norwich, Carly Key, said: 'Anastasia is a real inspiration. We get a lot of people that say they are too old to join a gym, but Anastasia shows that this is not true and that age is just a number. She is proof that anything is possible if you put your mind to it.'
Do you know someone inspirational? Email email@example.com.