Fitness fanatic Anastasia, 70, puts others to shame at her gym
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
It's hard to believe that gym-fanatic Anastasia Sullivan has just celebrated her 70th birthday, but she is determined not to let her age stop her from keeping fit.
The retired NHS therapist from Heath Road joined The Gym Norwich on London Street and has never looked back.
'I do love exercising, otherwise I wouldn't be doing it. People think I'm mad,' she said.
Mrs. Sullivan was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease eight years ago and said: 'Going to the gym has definitely stabilised it and kept it under control.'
Sport has always been a huge part of Mrs Sullivan's life and has a lot more time to concentrate on her fitness during her retirement.
'My son, Markus, brought me along to The Gym and I signed up the next day. He's very proud I got this far, as it's keeping me healthy, so he doesn't have to worry,' she said.
Her personal trainer Xavier Gomez, 29, has devised a programme for Mrs Sullivan to improve her general fitness.
- 1 Everything you need to know about the Sweet Briar Road closure
- 2 Norwich cocktail bar and restaurant relaunches with new name and menu
- 3 Sewage seeps through floorboards and blocks sinks in apartment block
- 4 Supporters' fears that Spurs game at Carrow Road may turn nasty
- 5 Why NR3 is being dubbed the 'new Shoreditch'
- 6 Jailed in Norfolk: Drug dealer and man who raped teenage girl
- 7 Two men charged in connection with Class A drug dealing in Norwich
- 8 Fashion boutique to shut with FOUR MONTH closing down sale
- 9 Finishing touches added to new Tesco store in city centre
- 10 Huge 'magazine worthy' bungalow near Norwich is back up for sale for £1.1m
He said: 'Anastasia's improvement in fitness has been amazing.
'She told me that she wanted to join bootcamp, but I didn't permit it. She is now coming to bootcamp and many other fitness classes!'
The 70-year-old usually trains every day, sometimes doing two classes a day, and then rests on Sunday.
'The endorphin levels after classes are great. I work hard and then feel really good once I've finished,' she said.
Mrs. Sullivan has never had any injuries and said it is all down to Mr Gomez.
'If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be where I am today,' she said.
General Manager at The Gym Norwich, Carly Key, said: 'Anastasia is a real inspiration. We get a lot of people that say they are too old to join a gym, but Anastasia shows that this is not true and that age is just a number. She is proof that anything is possible if you put your mind to it.'
Do you know someone inspirational? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.