Fire walk to help Wymondham Martial Arts club
Would you help raise hundreds of pounds for charity by taking five small steps? But what if the steps required involved walking over burning coals?
Organisers behind a charity fire walk in Norwich are hoping to recruit more volunteers to try the brave experience in a bid to raise vital cash for Macmillan Cancer Support and the Wymondham Martial Arts and Wellbeing Centre.
The not-for-profit centre, which opened in a converted industrial unit in January, is now home to the Wymondham Judo Club but also plans to offer a range of activities including community fitness and dance classes, physiotherapy and massage, and nutrition and weight loss groups.
Organiser Neil Saunders, from Taverham, who trains with the judo club, said people take part in fire walks for all kinds of reasons such as fundraisers, as a way to beat their fear of fire or even as a spiritual rite of passage.
'It's an opportunity to challenge yourself. It's also one of those things that people want to put on the to do list like parachuting or abseiling. Well I've done parachute jumps and this is my next thing,' he said.
You may also want to watch:
The fire walk will take place at The Forum on April 9 from 6.30pm. All participants will receive a motivational seminar before attempting the walk. The event is open to those aged 16 or over and it costs �30 to register.
Organisers are also looking for businesses to sponsor the event to reduce costs and allow more proceeds from the fire walk to be donated to the charities.
- 1 'Eyesore' bus won't be removed despite neighbours' pleas
- 2 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 3 How Norwich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 4 'Such a shame': Social media scammer targets Norwich pub
- 5 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 6 'Lives are at risk'-Patients' concerns over surgery appointment struggles
- 7 Tenant's despair as council fixes his windows by screwing them shut
- 8 One of Norwich's most photographed homes is up for sale
- 9 'Significant' amount of cash and electronics stolen from city home
- 10 Neighbours' terror as bleeding man found in garden after street fight
For more information, email email@example.com or visit www.norwichfirewalk2011.webs.com