Passers-by in frantic fight to kick in door as fire tears through Norwich house
- Credit: Archant
Passers-by kicked a front door open in dramatic scenes amid fears people were trapped as fire tore through a house in Norwich today.
An eye-witness told how smoke was pouring out of upper windows and windows were falling out in the fierce heat of the fire on Coslany Street.
The fire service arrived just as the door was kicked in, but the property was found to be empty.
Crews from Earlham, Carrow, Sprowston and Hethersett attended the scene at 2.20pm after a call by a member of the public.
Firefighters used hoses to put out the flames, plus thermal imaging equipment to check for hot spots.
You may also want to watch:
Simon Rose, who lives in Barnyard Yard and witnessed the fire, said: 'I saw the smoke out coming out of the top two windows then the windows started falling out.
'People were trying to kick the door down because they thought people were in there.
- 1 'Disaster from start to finish': Parents slam school for failing kids
- 2 Power still out in parts of Norwich city centre six hours later
- 3 New £64,000 bus lane could cut 80 seconds off journeys
- 4 Resurfacing works to see closures on three busy city roads
- 5 Alan Carr enjoys 'delicious food' and leaves large tip at city restaurant
- 6 People in Norwich fined £21k for failing to pay for prescriptions
- 7 'Diabolical' - Fury over trees felled for road widening scheme
- 8 Family piano shop founded in 1887 is leaving the city
- 9 See how Norwich Castle's keep is being transformed
- 10 Roadworks to be aware of in Norwich this week
'They just got in as the fire brigade arrived. I don't know the people who live there - I only moved in on Wednesday. The whole block is council housing. It was a shocking thing to see. I just hope no one has been hurt. It didn't take long for it to go up.'
Roger Mitchell, station manager for Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service who was at the scene said the fire was 'severe', causing damage to all three storeys of the building.
'There was no one in the property at the time of the fire and the neighbours where raised by members of the public who made them aware of the fire.
'I'd like to thank them for doing that: the safest place for people is outside,' he said.
Mr Mitchell added that there would be a full investigation into how the fire started.
The police and ambulance service were also called.