One person injured after fire service called to overheated battery

The Norwich Hotel was evacuated and some staff were treated by paramedics after a battery overheated

The Norwich Hotel was evacuated and some staff were treated by paramedics after a battery overheated - Credit: Ella Wilkinson

One person was injured after a battery overheated in a city hotel.

Three fire engines from Carrow, Earlham and Sprowston attended the incident at The Norwich Hotel in Thorpe Road at about 1.50pm on Monday, April 11.

A spokesman for Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service confirmed the fire had been confined to the basement area.

Firefighters used breathing apparatus while dealing with an overheated battery at the Norwich Hotel

Firefighters used breathing apparatus while dealing with an overheated battery at the Norwich Hotel - Credit: Ella Wilkinson

Peter Rowe, group manager for Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service, said: "We responded to a report of an overheated battery in the basement.

"We have got a hazmat response due to the type of report received."

Fire crews at the scene of the blaze in Thorpe Road, Norwich.

Fire crews at the scene of the blaze in Thorpe Road, Norwich. - Credit: Coder Agency

First aid was provided on scene and one person was taken into the care of the ambulance service. 

Ambulance and fire are on the scene of an incident at the Norwich Hotel

Ambulance and fire are on the scene of an incident at the Norwich Hotel - Credit: Ella Wilkinson

Mr Rowe added: "The fire was confined to the basement area and the evacuation was in the hands of the hotel. Staff were treated at the scene. No real fire broke out and all the checks were in place to prevent it getting worse.

Most Read

"We worked hard to ensure it came to a safe conclusion."