Fire breaks out in Norwich city centre shop
- Credit: Archant
A city centre shop had to be evacuated after a fire broke out.
The fire service were called to The Granary, a furniture shop on Bedford Street, at 2.30pm on Tuesday, after reports of a blaze.
Crews from Earlham, Carrow and Hethersett were sent to the scene and the area was cordoned off.
Electricians had begun to tackle the blaze before the fire service arrived and crews used hose reel jets to extinguish it.
Watch Manager Golby confirmed at the scene that the fire was caused by a small light fitting overheating.
You may also want to watch:
No-one was injured and it is believed the shop was safe to resume trading shortly after.
The Granary describes itself as 'the home of contemporary living' and is part of Jarrolds.
- 1 Enjoy afternoon tea on Britain's poshest train departing from Norwich
- 2 'No help to us' - Mixed views on £6.1m street revamp
- 3 Business fears for Christmas trade if council doesn't fix traffic 'chaos'
- 4 'She shouted for 90 minutes': Councillor guilty of harassing railway staff
- 5 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 6 Norfolk man jailed for historic child sex abuse offences
- 7 Child sex abuse victim: 'I'm still angry, but haven't let him ruin my life'
- 8 TikTok craze sparks calls to stop sale of beans to under-18s
- 9 Former policeman in court in Norwich charged with rape and assaults
- 10 'Disaster from start to finish': Parents slam school for failing kids
It is situated in a Grade II listed building next to Gallyons Country Living.
On its website it states its shop has undergone extensive renovation to reclaim some of its historical features.