Final call for Norfolk Race for Life entries
- Credit: Bill Smith - Archant
A cancer charity has made a final rallying call for women to sign up to its popular Race for Life events, which will be held near Norwich later this month.
Almost 6,000 women have already been recruited to take part in the 10k and 5k runs at the Royal Norfolk Showground on Saturday, May 18 at 10am and 2pm and Sunday, May 19 at 11am. However, organisers from Cancer Research UK said places were still available for the fun runs and hope up to 7,500 women will take part.
Entry closes on Thursday, May 16 and officials from the charity are encouraging mums, daughters, grandmothers, sisters, friends and workmates to sign up as soon possible. All proceeds will go towards funding life-saving research for Cancer Research UK's quest to defeat cancer.
Last year, almost 7,500 women took part in Race for Life at the showground and helped raise £477,618 for Cancer Research UK's life-saving work.
Gemma Turpin, event manager for Race for Life in Norfolk said: 'We are absolutely thrilled that so many women have entered Race for Life in Norwich. But we still have places left so we are urging women to sign up as soon as possible. Race for Life is non-competitive, so there's no need to worry about being fit or fast. It doesn't matter if you walk, jog or even dance your way around the course.'
You may also want to watch:
Women can further boost their contribution to Cancer Research UK's work by doing a 'wardrobe work-out' before their event. The charity is encouraging participants to sort out and bag up hidden treasures such as quality clothes, books and accessories they no longer use and take them to the donation station at the event. Every participant receives a donation bag, along with a Gift Aid form, as part of their Race for Life entry pack.
The charity is also organising a run at Nowton Park, Bury St Edmunds, on Sunday, June 23. To enter, visit www.raceforlife.org or by calling 0845 600 6050.
- 1 'Eyesore' bus won't be removed despite neighbours' pleas
- 2 Tenant's despair as council fixes his windows by screwing them shut
- 3 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 4 Neighbours' terror as bleeding man found in garden after street fight
- 5 Huge Gothic home on edge of city cemetery is for sale for £1.2m
- 6 Man killed after collision with double-decker bus on A146 named
- 7 'Such a shame': Social media scammer targets Norwich pub
- 8 'Neighbours ran outside screaming' during street fight in Golden Triangle
- 9 'Significant' amount of cash and electronics stolen from city home
- 10 'Our lives are being destroyed': Neighbours' despair over noisy students