Film-maker travels to Ethiopia to visit the Tiger Kids.
- Credit: Archant
Norfolk teacher Cathy Burton runs a centre for the street children of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, who call themselves Tiger Kids. She teaches them English and holds art and music workshops. Colleague and film-maker Jax Burgoyne joined her for the first time to make a film about the Tiger Kids and their lives. Jax has been detailing her time in Africa.
'Monday was the first day of teaching and the last few days we have been working to get the classroom ready for teaching by preparing resources and getting more contacts and help – it's wonderful,' she said.
'There's King, a man who is in Addis for a week, from somewhere in north Ethiopia. I started chatting to him on the bus after we had bought some small plastic chairs from the main market and he's teaching the kids for a bit.
'The manager of a local restaurant will be teaching a drama lesson.
'We had treats of biscuits, crisps and milk for the Tiger Kids, but we're going healthy and will be cooking them some pasta with vegetables. It was a two-hour session this time, and an easy introduction for them – wash hands, register, food and we watched How to Train Your Dragon, which they loved even though their English is very limited.
You may also want to watch:
'Then we explained to them idea of doing a film, got their consent, and gave them all hats which were just a small part of the donations we received.'
Are you doing anything for charity? Email email@example.com
- 1 Work under way to build new Lidl alongside NDR
- 2 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 3 Hethersett student offered place at prestigious music school
- 4 Fears planning shake-up will threaten Norwich city centre
- 5 Man seriously injured after crash
- 6 New 66-bed care home with cinema planned near NDR
- 7 Plans to demolish historic pub approved just days after suspected arson attack
- 8 'They don't care': Retired couple slam council over 'dangerous' tree
- 9 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 10 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving