Film-maker travels to Ethiopia to visit the Tiger Kids.
- Credit: Archant
Norfolk teacher Cathy Burton runs a centre for the street children of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, who call themselves Tiger Kids. She teaches them English and holds art and music workshops. Colleague and film-maker Jax Burgoyne joined her for the first time to make a film about the Tiger Kids and their lives. Jax has been detailing her time in Africa.
'Monday was the first day of teaching and the last few days we have been working to get the classroom ready for teaching by preparing resources and getting more contacts and help – it's wonderful,' she said.
'There's King, a man who is in Addis for a week, from somewhere in north Ethiopia. I started chatting to him on the bus after we had bought some small plastic chairs from the main market and he's teaching the kids for a bit.
'The manager of a local restaurant will be teaching a drama lesson.
'We had treats of biscuits, crisps and milk for the Tiger Kids, but we're going healthy and will be cooking them some pasta with vegetables. It was a two-hour session this time, and an easy introduction for them – wash hands, register, food and we watched How to Train Your Dragon, which they loved even though their English is very limited.
You may also want to watch:
'Then we explained to them idea of doing a film, got their consent, and gave them all hats which were just a small part of the donations we received.'
Are you doing anything for charity? Email email@example.com
- 1 'Eyesore' bus won't be removed despite neighbours' pleas
- 2 Tenant's despair as council fixes his windows by screwing them shut
- 3 Neighbours' terror as bleeding man found in garden after street fight
- 4 Huge Gothic home on edge of city cemetery is for sale for £1.2m
- 5 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 6 Man killed after collision with double-decker bus on A146 named
- 7 'Neighbours ran outside screaming' during street fight in Golden Triangle
- 8 'Significant' amount of cash and electronics stolen from city home
- 9 'Our lives are being destroyed': Neighbours' despair over noisy students
- 10 Pet owner's fury as mystery neighbour tries to claim her cat as their own