Filby hoping for a bloomin' great year
Anthony CarrollA riot of colour, an old sailing dinghy and a fake fisherman could help a Norfolk village reclaim its floral crown.Anthony Carroll
A riot of colour, an old sailing dinghy and a fake fisherman could help a Norfolk village reclaim its floral crown.
Filby, near Great Yarmouth, has announced its theme for this summer's celebration of plants and flowers - the Broads.
It is hoped that a colourful collection of displays based on river way activities such as bird watching, sailing and fishing, will help Filby win the title of best kept village with a population 301 to 1,000 at the Anglia in Bloom awards.
Last year, Filby in Bloom with its pink theme came second in the contest to Bulphan in Essex.
In a bid to reclaim its crown, the Broadland village will feature a whole host of colourful plants, such as yellow begonias and orange geraniums, along the well used A149 through Filby.
Filby in Bloom organisers will also set up a floral fishing boat with a mannequin of a fisherman and hope to set up a similar display of a sailing dinghy if one can be found.
- 1 Single mum resorts to sleeping in her car due to 'unlivable' flat
- 2 Michael McIntyre and Robert Rinder spotted at Carrow Road
- 3 Norwich man charged with kidnap after posing as a taxi driver
- 4 Team behind Golden Triangle pub take on Edith Cavell in Norwich
- 5 Your chance to meet The Bill star who has moved to Norfolk
- 6 Major changes coming to the sale of domestic fuels
- 7 Party in the Park coming to Norwich with global food, stalls and music
- 8 Eleventh McDonald's drive-thru could be set for Norwich
- 9 Bread Source confirms location of new store
- 10 Meet the cone ranger battling anti-social parkers at pick-up time
Adrian Thompson, the chairman of Filby in Bloom, said: 'We felt that last's year campaign was nicely co-ordinated but a bit bland.
'For this year's Filby in Bloom there will be riot of colour for people driving through the village and it should make them feel happier.'
Filby in Bloom is looking for a sailing dinghy in any condition which can be used for a floral display. Anyone who wants to supply a dinghy should call Mr Thompson on 01493 369250.