Filby hoping for a bloomin' great year
Anthony CarrollA riot of colour, an old sailing dinghy and a fake fisherman could help a Norfolk village reclaim its floral crown.Anthony Carroll
A riot of colour, an old sailing dinghy and a fake fisherman could help a Norfolk village reclaim its floral crown.
Filby, near Great Yarmouth, has announced its theme for this summer's celebration of plants and flowers - the Broads.
It is hoped that a colourful collection of displays based on river way activities such as bird watching, sailing and fishing, will help Filby win the title of best kept village with a population 301 to 1,000 at the Anglia in Bloom awards.
Last year, Filby in Bloom with its pink theme came second in the contest to Bulphan in Essex.
You may also want to watch:
In a bid to reclaim its crown, the Broadland village will feature a whole host of colourful plants, such as yellow begonias and orange geraniums, along the well used A149 through Filby.
Filby in Bloom organisers will also set up a floral fishing boat with a mannequin of a fisherman and hope to set up a similar display of a sailing dinghy if one can be found.
- 1 TikTok craze sparks calls to stop sale of beans to under-18s
- 2 Norfolk man jailed for historic child sex abuse offences
- 3 'No help to us' - Mixed views on £6.1m street revamp
- 4 'She shouted for 90 minutes': Councillor guilty of harassing railway staff
- 5 Business fears for Christmas trade if council doesn't fix traffic 'chaos'
- 6 Enjoy afternoon tea on Britain's poshest train departing from Norwich
- 7 Should straight people go into queer clubs and bars?
- 8 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
- 9 'Disaster from start to finish': Parents slam school for failing kids
- 10 Child sex abuse victim: 'I'm still angry, but haven't let him ruin my life'
Adrian Thompson, the chairman of Filby in Bloom, said: 'We felt that last's year campaign was nicely co-ordinated but a bit bland.
'For this year's Filby in Bloom there will be riot of colour for people driving through the village and it should make them feel happier.'
Filby in Bloom is looking for a sailing dinghy in any condition which can be used for a floral display. Anyone who wants to supply a dinghy should call Mr Thompson on 01493 369250.