Festival Diaries: Ian Findlater
Mary HamiltonIan Findlater, group director at Festival sponsor May Gurney, shares his thoughts for the day.Mary Hamilton
Ian Findlater, group director at Festival sponsor May Gurney, shares his thoughts for the day.
Normally I would be spending my weekend in the garden topping up the bird-feeders or walking in the countryside with friends.
Today I will be in a city park with more street performers, acrobats and musicians than you can shake a stick at and thousands of men, women and children from all over the county enjoying the Norfolk & Norwich Festival Garden Party.
The Festival Garden Party is the centerpiece of the MG Free programme sponsored by May Gurney at this year's Festival - a two-day free party crammed full of music, dance, theatre, comedy and who knows what else!
You may also want to watch:
I love the idea that I have been part of something that gives so many people the chance to look at their world in a new way through this sort of free event that anyone can attend and everyone can enjoy.
This year's MG Free events have included the amazing Parklife by NoFit State Circus with its workshops and creative exchange sessions, the huge pyrotechnics show in Earlham Park and the Festival's riotous launch event.
- 1 How Norwich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 2 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 3 'It's very bad'-Trade decline frustration at stores as roadworks take place
- 4 Tudor Stores reopens as manager resigns over safety fears
- 5 Teenagers set to be sentenced over stabbing
- 6 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 7 'Such a shame': Social media scammer targets Norwich pub
- 8 'Significant' amount of cash and electronics stolen from city home
- 9 Grill van serving gourmet burgers and hot dogs gets residency at city pub
- 10 All of Norwich's Christmas opening hours
But best of all, through our sponsorship, we've been able to work with a group of extraordinary young people from The Garage who are working with the Festival team to learn all about promoting music and arts events.
Perhaps these people will be the performers and promoters of future festivals?
Norfolk & Norwich Festival Garden Party is today and tomorrow from 11am to 5pm in Chapelfield Gardens, Norwich.
For more information on the Festival or to book tickets for events visit www.nnf10.org.uk or call the box office on 01603 766400.