Award-winning Norwich pub celebrates 30 years in style
- Credit: The Fat Cat Pub
A renowned Norwich pub is raising a glass to mark a special anniversary this weekend.
Having first opened its doors in December 1991, The Fat Cat pub on West End Street, in Norwich, officially celebrated its 30th anniversary on Thursday (December 2) but is celebrating in style with its regulars this weekend.
Owner Colin Keatley, 71, revealed that the pub has brewed a 9pc barleywine called 'Mad Cat' for its anniversary which will be sold at £3 a half.
"We will also have 12 hand pumps on the bar with each representing a different beer from our brewery," said Mr Keatley.
"We're doing 12 ales which sell at £3 a pint."
Having worked in the industry since he was 15, Mr Keatley is armed with 56 years experience and has seen how the pub landscape in Norwich has changed first-hand.
"Norwich is completely different today than it was 30 years ago.
- 1 Two neighbouring properties go up for sale - and they both need some TLC
- 2 All you need to know ahead of the Lord Mayor's Celebration 2022
- 3 Road closures revealed for Lord Mayor's Celebration
- 4 Vehicles worth £50k stolen from Royal Norfolk Show
- 5 Fine dining Indian restaurant named best in region at awards
- 6 Most desirable places to live in Norwich according to estate agents
- 7 'You owe us!': Furious holidaymakers demand compo
- 8 Street food restaurant launches unlimited wings night
- 9 Blaze sees 20 passengers evacuated from city bus
- 10 Primary school left without governors after mass walkout
"Now there are bars and interesting restaurants so the game has changed so you need to be able to adapt."
However, despite introducing new initiatives such as offering a takeaway service during Covid lockdowns, Mr Keatley is proud that the pub itself hasn't changed much.
"It's still an iconic place to come and have a beer.
"You always know what you're going to get when you come here - you get a decent pint."
Since opening, the pub has been recognised with a number of regional and national awards including being named as the best beer pub in the country 11 times, according to The Good Pub Guide.