FASHION: Look to the past for a new look
Emma HarrowingIf you love the idea of buying second hand or vintage fashion but don't know how to wear it now is your chance to find out. The Frock Exchange comes to Norwich next week and it's a fashion event not to be missed.Emma Harrowing
If you love the idea of buying second hand or vintage fashion but don't know how to wear it now is your chance to find out. The Frock Exchange comes to Norwich next week and it's a fashion event not to be missed. EMMA HARROWING finds out more and gets some tips on how to wear vintage.
1. A vintage denim jacket is a great way of toughening up a floaty cocktail dress.
Nicola wears: pastel pink cocktail dress, �14.99, H&M; denim jacket, �4.99, Oxfam; shoes, model's own.
2. Accessorise a second hand black dress with jewellery from the high street and a pair of vintage shoes.
- 1 5 new shop openings in Norwich to look forward to
- 2 Police called after sudden death at home near Norwich
- 3 Landlady 'hard at work' as city pub prepares for July reopening
- 4 Blanket ban: Standing room only for Simply Red fans
- 5 Peter Crouch speaks on bid to track down his 'Norfolk husband'
- 6 See inside 'stunning' flat overlooking Norwich Market
- 7 Norwich Airport TUI flight delayed by 42 hours due to technical issue
- 8 Can you spot yourself at the Simply Red gig at Earlham Park?
- 9 Mother heartbroken to find her child's grave in "unacceptable state"
- 10 Family sue Wetherspoon after man falls to death in city pub
Nicola wears: Black dress, �5.99, Oxfam; gold necklace, �4.99, H&M; gold bangles, �3.99, H&M; vintage gold gladiators (price on request) from The Fabulous Miss K, Daisy and Lola, Lower Goat Lane.
3. Look for classic vintage or second hand pieces such as a tuxedo jacket and wear with leggings and jewellery from the high street. Add a vintage brooch for a stylish twist.
Nicola wears: Black tuxedo jacket, �7.99, Oxfam; black ribbed leggings, �12.99, H&M; chain necklace, �9.99, H&M; vintage brooch, from a selection at The Fabulous Miss K in Daisy and Lola on Lower Goat Lane; shoes, model's own.
4. Team a vintage skirt with a modern but classic white shirt.
Nicola wears: White shirt, �19.90, Zara in Chapelfield; vintage skirt and belt from a selection at The Fabulous Miss K in Daisy and Lola on Lower Goat Lane; necklace, �4.99, H&M; gold shoes, model's own.
5. Never wear head to toe vintage. Add a modern belt from the high street for an up to date look.
Nicola wears: Vintage green floral suit and gladiators from a selection at The Fabulous Miss K in Daisy and Lola on Lower Goat Lane; black studded belt, �7.99, H&M.
6. Mixing high street, second hand and vintage clothing can give you timeless style.
Nicola wears: Pastel jacket and bag from a selection at The Fabulous Miss K in Daisy and Lola on Lower Goat Lane; jeans, �19.99, Zara in Chapelfield; boots, model's own.
What is The Frock Exchange?
Everyone has got clothes, shoes and accessories that are tucked away at the back of their wardrobe or forgotten about in a chest of drawers. Now it's time to have a sort out and gather together five items of clothes, accessories and or shoes in good condition, take them to Noir on Queen Street on January 20th and swap them for items you will wear.
How does it work?
Take up to five items of clothing, shoes and/or accessories to Noir between 10am and 5pm on January 20, 2010 and receive a coloured ticket for each item. Red ticket = clothes, Green ticket = shoes, Blue ticket = accessories.
Bring your tickets with you to The Frock Exchange at Noir at 6pm and use them to 'buy' items in the same category.
Stylist Karen James-Welton will be on hand to offer advice on how to put different looks together to suit you so you can wear second hand and vintage clothing with style.
Relax with cocktails and canap�s and take part in a fashion related raffle.
If you don't find anything you want this time keep your tickets and use them at the next Frock Exchange.
The Frock Exchange is taking place at Noir on Queen Street in the city at 6pm on January 20, 2010. Entry is �5 (payable on the door).
For tips on how to buy and wear vintage check out Life Matters' fashion expert Karen James-Welton's advice on the Life Matters pages in today's Norwich Evening News (on sale Tuesday January 12, 2010).