Facebook reunites father and son after 70 years
Stephen PullingerA war veteran has been reunited with his first-born son after 70 years - thanks to his Norwich granddaughter tracking him down on the social networking site Facebook.Stephen Pullinger
A war veteran has been reunited with his first-born son after 70 years - thanks to his Norwich granddaughter tracking him down on the social networking site Facebook.
Now frail and living with his second wife Margaret in a care home, George Mumby, 98, had last seen 71-year-old Terry as a baby before he went off to fight in the second world war in Italy and North Africa with the Sherwood Foresters Regiment.
You may also want to watch:
Following the failure of his first marriage his parents-in-law became the child's legal guardians on Guernsey.
George, who lived in Ludham, near Great Yarmouth, went on to have three more children but never got back in touch with Terry.
- 1 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 2 Langleys toy shop building for rent for £45,000 a year
- 3 'Unacceptable': Council hits out at soiled clothing left in public toilets
- 4 Driver cut from vehicle after crash on Norwich ring road
- 5 CCTV shows man who used stolen bank card at three Norwich stores
- 6 Men ran over roofs to flee police after Norwich cannabis factory raid
- 7 Campaigners angry as park hedge cut down for tennis court scheme
- 8 Why Norwich must stop Debenhams becoming city centre black hole
- 9 Glass smashed and racist graffiti sprayed onto Norwich house
- 10 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
It was only a New Year's Eve impulse of his granddaughter Sophie, 23, that finally brought about a surprise reunion.
Sophie, of Cremorne Lane, said: 'I am quite involved with my grandparents and it came up in conversation that my granddad had a son with whom he had lost contact.
'I pestered my dad for the name and looked on the internet without finding anything. But it was on New Year's Eve as I was preparing to go out that I had the idea of doing a search on Facebook.
'Seven Terry Mumbys came up and although it was a long shot, I sent a message to each one. The next morning, when I had woken up with a hangover I was astonished to have received a message back saying 'it's me'.'
Sophie, a support worker for people with learning difficulties, discovered that the retired computer manager living in St Peter Port, Guernsey, had been trying to track down his father for years.
She arranged a meeting and said: 'My grandfather was delighted and described it as the best day of his life.'