Eyesore: The house that caught fire in Fairfield Road, Norwich
- Credit: Archant
A Norwich house that was gutted by fire 15 months ago and left in an eyesore state could finally be knocked down and a new house built on the site.
The property in Fairfield Road, between Ipswich Road and Newmarket Road, in the south of the city, was wrecked by fire in February 2012 while the family were away on holiday.
Most of its roof was destroyed in the blaze and the house has remained boarded up ever since, much to the anguish of neighbours and people walking their dogs nearby.
But now plans have been submitted by the owners, who do not wish to be named, care of David Futter Associates, to demolish the existing house and garage and redevelop the site to create one five-bedroom house with garages and car port.
The news was welcomed by people living in the area, whose properties have overlooked the building.
One neighbour, who did not wish to be named, said: 'It will be nice to have it back as a house with someone living there.'
However the plans have been criticised by heritage watchdog, the Norwich Society.
- 1 'Awe and disbelief' as thousands of bees swarm pub garden
- 2 Which parts of Norwich could be underwater by 2030?
- 3 U-turn on city bike shop closure
- 4 New images show progress of Sweet Briar Road repair
- 5 Fireworks, food stalls and music planned for jubilee party near Norwich
- 6 Neighbours' tribute to crash victim who 'thought the world of her dogs'
- 7 Man accused of murder refuses to appear in court
- 8 Dad left fuming as royal flag stolen weeks before jubilee weekend
- 9 First look inside five-acre bug zoo - and you can take a creepy crawly home
- 10 School sacks suspended teacher after investigation and petition
It said: 'The design of the proposal is at odds with the large, mature site in which it sits and seems alien to the neighbourhood. The layout is visually disjointed and undistinguished.
'The proposal is a lost opportunity to explore a wonderful mature site.'
As reported, it took up to 50 firefighters from eight fire engines to tackle the blaze after the home went up in flames in the early hours of February 13. No-one was in the house at the time.
A spokesman for Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service said afterwards that the blaze was not being treated as suspicious.
Have you got a planning story for the Evening News? Call reporter David Bale on 01603 772427 or email@example.com