Eighties pop favourites T’Pau to celebrate 30th anniversary with date in Norwich
- Credit: Archant
The China in Your Hand chart-toppers led by Carol Decker will perform at the Waterfront in December as part of an anniversary tour marking three decades.
T'Pau became one of the most successful and biggest selling bands of the late-1980s with huge hits like Heart and Soul, Valentine and China In Your Hand which spent five weeks at number one.
Led by flame-haired singer Carol Decker, they rode the crest of a wave, also enjoying a quadruple platinum number one hit with their debut album, Bridge Of Spies.
The album produced a string of worldwide hits, which saw Heartand Soul, staying on the U.S billboard chart for six months. Platinum albums Rage and The Promise followed adding to the band's global success.
They toured cwith the likes of Bryan Adams and Nik Kershaw eventually selling out their own arena shows such as Wembley and Birmingham's NEC.
You may also want to watch:
Now they are marking their 30th anniversary with a tour that will bring them to the Waterfront in Norwich on December 1, where Carol will be performing a rare full band show.
Carol has spent the last 15-plus years focusing on live work either standalone T'Pau gigs or retro 1980s tours, the band has enjoyed a renaissance recently following the release of their most recent material, Pleasure & Pain, in 2015.
- 1 Excitement as city pub reopens after 18-month closure
- 2 Woman hit with £900 vet bill after dog gets 'stoned' on park cannabis stash
- 3 Nut allergy fears spark battle for 'landmark' walnut tree
- 4 New 170-place school likely to get go-ahead
- 5 Reaction to plans for new Norwich Block entertainment venue
- 6 Tributes pour in for 'much loved lady' after body found
- 7 The moment drugs squad smashes down a suspected dealer's door
- 8 Norwich bar gets back licence after tearful appeal by owner
- 9 Drinkers and footie fans urged to 'behave' after shop window smashed
- 10 Potential for 30C today – but two days of thunderstorms on the way
This special tour — titled the China In Your Hand 30th Anniversary Tour — will be a chance to celebrate the band's full history. But for good or for bad, T'Pau will always be associated with China In Your Hand, the seminal power ballad, however the song only just made the album.
'China In Your Hand was an accident, it wasn't finished when we got our record deal and no-one had heard it,' Carol recalls. 'We got our record deal based on Heart and Soul and Valentine and I Will Be With You, tracks like that. We were in the studio with [producer] Roy Thomas Baker and one track wasn't working out, so he said, 'Have you got anything else?'
'Ronnie [Rogers, co-founder of T'Pau] and I had started this song, just on the piano with the vocals, and I had the cassette on my pocket, gave it to Roy and he said, 'That is a great song!''
She still enjoys performing the song, even though she is keen for it not to overshadow the rest of their hits.
'It's not a burden because it's provided me with an amazing career, and it's considered a pop classic, so that's a great compliment, but it's annoying being distilled down to one song when we have so much more to offer.
• T'Pau will play the Waterfront, King Street, Norwich, on December 1, £27, 01603 508050, www.ueaticketbookings.co.uk