Wroxham dancer awarded a place at prestigious London arts school The Brit
An aspiring West End star has been awarded a place at a prestigious arts school in London with dreams of becoming a famous dancer.
Joe Press, who is currently studying musical theatre at City College Norwich, said he was 'over the moon' after securing a place at the big smoke's Brit School, which has nurtured the talent of stars such as Adele, Amy Winehouse and Leona Lewis.
The 17-year-old has been dancing since the age of four and said this had been the second time he had auditioned for a place.
'It's quiet difficult to get into and it was harder auditioning the second time around,' he said.
'The first part of the audition was done in a group and at the call back I had to prepare a monologue, song and dance routine.
You may also want to watch:
'I was in shock when I found out I had got a place but it was amazing at the same time.'
Mr Press, of Grange Close, Wroxham, attends Broadland School of Dance in Aylsham and is trained in ballet and contemporary dance, including jazz and theatre.
- 1 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 2 Drip, drip, hooray! City's bottled water crisis solved
- 3 No-frills Norwich pub offers top-notch food and every dish is under £8
- 4 Why is it so difficult to buy bottled water?
- 5 Widow threatened with debt collectors after funeral director’s bill blunder
- 6 Sales rep who died at nature reserve named at inquest
- 7 Man steals £250 guitar from charity shop
- 8 Comedian Rufus Hound on the hunt for hotel in Norwich
- 9 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 10 Locals split as 'terrifying' 60-year-old chestnut tree is felled
He said his family and friends were really proud of him, especially his 'excited' mother and grandmother. He will leave Norfolk to attend the London school in September.
'I want to be a West End star,' he added.
'That would be brilliant if that happened and moving to London is going to be a big step for me.'
And not being the sort of person to stay still for too long Mr Press is readying himself for his performance in the English Youth Ballet's production of Giselle, which takes place at Norwich's Theatre Royal from June 29-30.
He said: 'I am really excited about doing this before I go and lots of hard work has gone into it.'
The principal of Broadland School of Dance Katy Carroll is a former professional West End and TV performer. She said: 'He works really hard and deserves to be successful.'
? Have you received a prestigious award? The Evening News would love to hear from you. Contact Local Life editor David Freezer on 01603 772418 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.