Wroxham dancer awarded a place at prestigious London arts school The Brit
An aspiring West End star has been awarded a place at a prestigious arts school in London with dreams of becoming a famous dancer.
Joe Press, who is currently studying musical theatre at City College Norwich, said he was 'over the moon' after securing a place at the big smoke's Brit School, which has nurtured the talent of stars such as Adele, Amy Winehouse and Leona Lewis.
The 17-year-old has been dancing since the age of four and said this had been the second time he had auditioned for a place.
'It's quiet difficult to get into and it was harder auditioning the second time around,' he said.
'The first part of the audition was done in a group and at the call back I had to prepare a monologue, song and dance routine.
'I was in shock when I found out I had got a place but it was amazing at the same time.'
Mr Press, of Grange Close, Wroxham, attends Broadland School of Dance in Aylsham and is trained in ballet and contemporary dance, including jazz and theatre.
- 1 Supporters' fears that Spurs game at Carrow Road may turn nasty
- 2 Finishing touches added to new Tesco store in city centre
- 3 The top 7 fish and chip shops in Norwich according to Tripadvisor
- 4 Nursery confirms closure following financial battle
- 5 'I'm considering living on a boat because houses are so expensive'
- 6 Man arrested after hundreds of cannabis plants seized in city
- 7 Two men charged in connection with Class A drug dealing in Norwich
- 8 Norwich cocktail bar and restaurant relaunches with new name and menu
- 9 Fashion boutique to shut with FOUR MONTH closing down sale
- 10 Two drivers writing on notepads among 21 motorists caught in 90 minutes
He said his family and friends were really proud of him, especially his 'excited' mother and grandmother. He will leave Norfolk to attend the London school in September.
'I want to be a West End star,' he added.
'That would be brilliant if that happened and moving to London is going to be a big step for me.'
And not being the sort of person to stay still for too long Mr Press is readying himself for his performance in the English Youth Ballet's production of Giselle, which takes place at Norwich's Theatre Royal from June 29-30.
He said: 'I am really excited about doing this before I go and lots of hard work has gone into it.'
The principal of Broadland School of Dance Katy Carroll is a former professional West End and TV performer. She said: 'He works really hard and deserves to be successful.'
? Have you received a prestigious award? The Evening News would love to hear from you. Contact Local Life editor David Freezer on 01603 772418 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.