Thorpe St Andrew student given special award
A 17-year-old from Thorpe St Andrew has been honoured for his high achievement at school with a special award.
Danyal Choudhury was given a UBS Award for Outstanding Students after achieving four A grades in his AS exams.
The student, from Dussindale, scored highly in history, chemistry, physics and maths, and as a result was put forward for the award from the director of sixth form at Thorpe St Andrew School.
Over 300 nominations were made by teachers, parents, siblings and peers across the country, with 75 state-school sixth formers chosen for the award by Pure Potential, a group that helps independent and state school students progress to top universities and careers.
Last Tuesday, the students' achievements were celebrated at a ceremony at UBS's London office.
You may also want to watch:
There they were given an award and given the opportunity to meet staff at the financial services company and gain networking skills.
Danyal said that he knew nothing about the award until he was told that he had won.
- 1 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 2 Is your surname on this list? You could inherit a fortune
- 3 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 4 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 5 Plans for affordable flats for rough sleepers approved despite concerns
- 6 6 best Chinese takeaways in Norwich according to Tripadvisor
- 7 Carer caught on CCTV letting dog scratch vulnerable pensioner
- 8 Delivery van towed from deep water on road closed due to flood risk
- 9 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 10 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
He said: 'It was sort of kept secret; I only heard when I got an email out of the blue saying I had got the award. I was obviously delighted to be given this prestigious award.' He added: 'I really have to thank my director of sixth form. She nominated me for the award, so I would not be there without her doing that.'
Brigitte Bernard, director of the sixth form, said: 'Danyal should be proud to be receiving an award of such high esteem as this nomination recognises not only his diligence and hard work, but also his caring nature towards other people.'
He is now studying chemistry, physics and maths for his A2 exams, with the hope of going to Oxford University to study physics.
Have you been given a top award? Contact Local Life editor Richard Wood on 01603 772423 or email email@example.com