Students urged to claim TV licence refund
- Credit: AP
Students have been reminded they may be able to claim a £36.67 refund on their TV licence.
Those who bought a TV licence at the start of the academic year will have a full three months remaining on their licence, and refunds can be claimed for unused quarters.
TV Licensing encouraged them to take advantage of the refund on the final unused quarter, and said the saving could pay for a ticket to a gig, a return train ticket to a festival, half of a return flight to Berlin, or a night out to celebrate the end of exams.
To be eligible, students need to have a TV licence, be leaving their halls or rented accommodation, and be moving to a licensed address.
Mark Binnersley, spokesperson for TV Licensing in East Anglia, said: 'The student refund is brilliant news for students and we encourage those who bought their licence at the start of the academic year to take advantage of it.
You may also want to watch:
'We want to help students understand the law when it comes to watching live TV on any device and help them avoid a fine of up to £1,000. Reminding them about the refund is part of knowing when you do and don't need a licence.'
Most students would need to buy a TV licence at the beginning of term in October in order to allow enough time at the end of the year to qualify for a refund.
- 1 'Our lives are being destroyed': Neighbours' despair over noisy students
- 2 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 3 'The final straw' - Bakery fears closure over council plans
- 4 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 5 Diversions in place on A47 near Norwich due to flooding
- 6 'Dream come true': Norwich restaurant wins national award
- 7 Norwich man wanted by police
- 8 See inside this quirky bungalow for sale near Norwich railway station
- 9 Mum's pleas to move house denied despite GP's concerns over wellbeing
- 10 Norwich man convicted of murder boasts of mutilating 'up to 30' cats
A colour TV licence currently costs £145.50, and a black and white licence is £49.
To arrange a refund, or for further information, simply visit: www.tvlicensing.co.uk/studentinfo, or call TV Licensing on 0300 790 6113.