Strikes will not close City College Norwich on Thursday
City College Norwich has confirmed it will be open as normal on Thursday, despite some members of staff going on strike over pension negotiations.
Members of the University and College Union (UCU) plan to take industrial action but all classes are expected to run as planned and student services will be open as normal.
Principal Dick Palmer said: 'Students should come into college as normal on Thursday and we will ensure that any disruption to their studies is minimised.
'This is an important time in the academic year, as our students come towards the Easter break, and we will do our utmost to support their learning programmes.
'I fully understand and sympathise with the concerns staff feel over the future of public sector pensions. It is a shame, however, that the UCU has chosen to take this action now whilst the dialogue between the TUC and the Government is ongoing and discussions about the Teachers Pension Scheme are still at the proposal stage.
'In common with the rest of the public sector, colleges face a period of considerable challenge and change as we work within the constraints imposed by significant cutbacks in public spending.
'Here at City College Norwich we are working to engage staff positively and constructively in the change management process as we respond together to these major national issues.'
- 1 City centre steak restaurant to DOUBLE in size thanks to move
- 2 Road closed after BMW comes off the road in Mousehold Heath
- 3 WATCH: Moment hero doorman tackles knifeman during Norwich triple stabbing
- 4 Arrests after woman held hostage in home containing drugs and samurai sword
- 5 Arena plans expected to bring windfall to city
- 6 How clothing boss got Norwich hooked on luxury
- 7 Norwich cycle shop closes after 125 years in business
- 8 'Never too old': Barber who joined industry at 29 named best in region
- 9 Norfolk car dealership and MOT centre named among best in the country
- 10 Norwich independent school named one of best in East Anglia