Science investigation day to challenge chemists of the future
- Credit: Archant
Budding young scientists battled it out at an Investigation Day organised by a Norwich chemical company.
The East Anglia section of the Royal Society of Chemistry challenged pupils from across the region to crystal-themed tasks at Briar Chemicals on Sweet Briar Road.
Pupils from 12 schools took part in the competition, which saw Ipswich School finish top of the class on November 7.
Ormiston Victory Academy's Assistant Principal for Raising Achievement Lucy Austin said: 'We have been lucky enough to take part in this competition for several years and we are always keen to do so.
'The insight our students gain from working in an industrial setting is invaluable, widening their horizons and raising their aspirations in a field that is difficult to get first-hand experience in.'
You may also want to watch:
The pupils worked in teams of four to tackle tasks including figuring out the origin of water samples and observing the temperatures of substances as they dissolved.
Their experiments were written up and then judged by a panel before some of the pupils took a tour of the site to see how chemistry is used on an industrial scale.
- 1 Ex-Canaries striker seals Championship move
- 2 Ghosts of business past: Empty shop units for rent for £100,000
- 3 Revealed: How much to rent former high street store
- 4 Revealed: New Anglia Square talks take place
- 5 New bid to limit city centre offices being turned into flats
- 6 New hotel could 'destroy character of Norwich Lanes'
- 7 'Dull as dishwater' - Fans in Norwich pub react to draw
- 8 Big screen unveiled in pub garden for England's Auld Enemy clash
- 9 Community shock after teenager knocked unconscious as robbers steal trainers
- 10 Have you visited any of these 'haunted' ruins in Norwich?
Briar Technical Specialist Haydn Dalton coordinated the event and said: 'We are always keen to encourage the scientists of the future and this investigation day saw the students working to a high standard.'
The Ipswich School pupils will now go on to represent the region in the national Top of the Bench finals at Loughborough next year.
Is your school visiting a Norwich company? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.