Picture gallery: NUCA fashion show
The second fashion show from the Norwich University College of the Arts proved that we have some talented young designers in our midst, says Emma Harrowing.
Trends from the Norwich catwalk predict that bright colours, big shoulders and a mix of chiffon and leather are high in the fashion stakes this year. That is, if designs from first and second year fashion degree students and MA fashion students from the Norwich University College of the Arts (NUCA) are anything to go by.
And the majority of the guests at the end-of-year fashion degree and MA show agreed, these designs are up there with leading up-and-coming designers who predict new fashion trends. There is a lot of fashion design and tailoring talent in Norwich.
More than 100 outfits took to the catwalk, each capturing the imagination, and some triggering that 'must-have, must-wear' urge that left us reaching for our purses and wondering if we can buy.
Four collections were on display. First year degree students showcased Deconstruction/Reconstruction in an experimental set of outfits made from garments from charity shop Cancer Research UK. They also presented a collection of dresses which ranged from the classic shift to colour-popping brights and delicate chiffon.
A collection of tailored outfits that challenged traditional tailoring techniques, formed part of the second year fashion degree students' collection, with exaggerated shoulders and dramatic collars. For their part, MA fashion students showcased individual pieces that focused on asymmetrical cutting and tailoring, smocking, moulding and structured forms.
The show was supported by House of Fraser, The Gallery Haircutters, make-up artist Louise Young, Topshop, Pretty Polly and Cancer Research UK. All proved that up-and-coming fashion talent from Norwich is worth investing in.
- 1 City folk baffled after being barricaded into their own homes
- 2 All you need to know ahead of The Killers concert at Carrow Road
- 3 Green light for park and ride, drive throughs and offices near Norwich
- 4 School sacks suspended teacher after investigation and petition
- 5 Fears Spurs fans may infiltrate home end at Norwich City match
- 6 House price boom pushing city buyers out of the market
- 7 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 8 Staff tuck into emergency honeycomb after bees rescued from city pub
- 9 Owners of taco and gourmet burger trailers open restaurant in Norwich
- 10 When will work start on new Aldi store?
Here are just some of the many designs that were on show – and remember, there is almost definitely a future international designer in our midst – you read it here first!
See the pictures from the NUCA fashion show by clicking on the photo gallery link at the top right of this page.