Picture gallery: NUCA fashion show
The second fashion show from the Norwich University College of the Arts proved that we have some talented young designers in our midst, says Emma Harrowing.
Trends from the Norwich catwalk predict that bright colours, big shoulders and a mix of chiffon and leather are high in the fashion stakes this year. That is, if designs from first and second year fashion degree students and MA fashion students from the Norwich University College of the Arts (NUCA) are anything to go by.
And the majority of the guests at the end-of-year fashion degree and MA show agreed, these designs are up there with leading up-and-coming designers who predict new fashion trends. There is a lot of fashion design and tailoring talent in Norwich.
More than 100 outfits took to the catwalk, each capturing the imagination, and some triggering that 'must-have, must-wear' urge that left us reaching for our purses and wondering if we can buy.
Four collections were on display. First year degree students showcased Deconstruction/Reconstruction in an experimental set of outfits made from garments from charity shop Cancer Research UK. They also presented a collection of dresses which ranged from the classic shift to colour-popping brights and delicate chiffon.
You may also want to watch:
A collection of tailored outfits that challenged traditional tailoring techniques, formed part of the second year fashion degree students' collection, with exaggerated shoulders and dramatic collars. For their part, MA fashion students showcased individual pieces that focused on asymmetrical cutting and tailoring, smocking, moulding and structured forms.
The show was supported by House of Fraser, The Gallery Haircutters, make-up artist Louise Young, Topshop, Pretty Polly and Cancer Research UK. All proved that up-and-coming fashion talent from Norwich is worth investing in.
- 1 Influencer loses one-of-a-kind wedding ring at coast
- 2 Man found dead in Norwich hotel
- 3 Woman taken to hospital after police incident in Norwich
- 4 Norwich pub allowed to reopen after licensing u-turn
- 5 'It's very very noisy' - broken manhole cover keeps couple awake at night
- 6 Police swoop after £400k cocaine parcel delivered to Norwich house
- 7 New Danish bakery in Norwich sells over 1,000 pastries in first week
- 8 Couple turn grain store into 'James Bond' home
- 9 Axe for Norwich Tourist Information Centre as closure announced
- 10 Measures taken to make dog walkers feel safer in Norwich park
Here are just some of the many designs that were on show – and remember, there is almost definitely a future international designer in our midst – you read it here first!
See the pictures from the NUCA fashion show by clicking on the photo gallery link at the top right of this page.