Norwich school project given cash boost
A scheme which helps Norwich youngsters cope with stress and anxiety in the run up to their exams has been awarded a slice of �70,000.
Bishop Richard Moth, the mental health bishop and bishop of the forces, this week hosted an awards reception to celebrate 11 projects chosen to receive funding in small Day for Life grants to support better mental health.
The �70,000 comes from the generosity of parishioners who gave to the Day for Life collections in 2008/2009 which had mental health as a theme.
One of the projects chosen to receive the grants includes Mindfulness in Schools at Notre Dame High School in Surrey Street, Norwich.
The school has been granted �250 towards several DVDs and booklet resources to supplement 'Mindfulness in Schools' for Year 11 students.
Over the course of eight hour-long lessons mindfulness techniques will be taught to about 180 students to enable them to cope with anxiety and stress in the run up to their exams.
Bishop Moth said: 'We live at a time when there are many stresses and strains on people at every level in our society. I feel privileged to have been asked to be involved with this project. We have to give thanks for the great generosity shown by the parish communities of England and Wales.'
- 1 5 new shop openings in Norwich to look forward to
- 2 Police called after sudden death at home near Norwich
- 3 Landlady 'hard at work' as city pub prepares for July reopening
- 4 Norwich Airport TUI flight delayed by 42 hours due to technical issue
- 5 Peter Crouch speaks on bid to track down his 'Norfolk husband'
- 6 Blanket ban: Standing room only for Simply Red fans
- 7 Can you spot yourself at the Simply Red gig at Earlham Park?
- 8 See inside 'stunning' flat overlooking Norwich Market
- 9 Family sue Wetherspoon after man falls to death in city pub
- 10 Mother heartbroken to find her child's grave in "unacceptable state"
Mindfulness in Schools Project is a non-profit organisation which aims to encourage, support and research the teaching of secular mindfulness in schools.