Norwich pupils to work with Britten Sinfonia to create anthem for the Village Games
Pupils from Norfolk schools are working in harmony with a world class orchestra to compose an anthem for the county's Village Games.
Youngsters from Framingham Earl High, Rockland St Mary Primary and Surlingham Community Primary School are taking part in the Orchestras Live Project with Britten Sinfonia on Thursday.
The event, organised by South Norfolk Council, will see 35 primary pupils and 30 Framingham Earl High School students join forces for a Big Ideas day.
Creative workshops will be held to encourage youngsters to come up with inspirational lyrics and music. Miles Neville, director of music at Framingham Earl, said: 'Opportunities like this do not come along very often.
'Our students will gain valuable insights into the world of creative music-making and will relish the chance to develop their musicianship.'
A professional writer will take the children's ideas and merge them into lyrics, while musicians from Britten Sinfonia work with the children to develop the harmony and melody.
Martin Wilby, deputy leader and cabinet member for community empowerment and the Big Society at South Norfolk Council, said: 'This is an incredible opportunity for youngsters to be inspired by some of the world's best musicians and take part in an exciting and moving shared experience.'
- 1 School sacks suspended teacher after investigation and petition
- 2 Former city sex shop up for sale
- 3 Roads chaos continues with more work lined up at busy junction
- 4 'They want to suck your blood': Bed bugs invade city homes
- 5 Teenager suffers serious injuries in city crash
- 6 When will work start on new Aldi store?
- 7 Dispute with council over legal cannabis use following eviction from home
- 8 Meet the mystery city woman behind the Queen's post box topper
- 9 U-turn on city bike shop closure
- 10 Customised coat used by family of shoplifters in city spree
The finished anthem will be premiered at Poringland Community Centre on Friday, January 27 next year with Sinfonia players accompanying the musicians and singers from the schools.
Are you organising an event for children? Call Lucy Wright on 01603 772495 or email firstname.lastname@example.org