Lakenham Primary School scoops prestigious cultural award
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2015
Celebrating languages, learning songs and developing links with other schools around the globe are just a few reasons why a city school has won a prestigious award.
Lakenham Primary School, off Smithfield Road in Norwich, has been awarded the British Council's International School Award in recognition of its work to bring the world into the classroom.
The school's efforts include the annual Lakenham Languages Day and celebrating languages spoken at the school by learning songs, dance and looking at famous artists from different countries.
Links between partner schools have also been made in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and Seville, in Spain, where children have exchanged projects to learn about each other's culture.
Headteacher, Oriana Dalton, said: 'Being awarded the International School Award is recognition of the wonderfully diverse and vibrant community we serve. It is a celebration of community and has given us an opportunity to celebrate, explore and develop our appreciation of diversity and prepare our pupils for life in a global society.'
You may also want to watch:
The award is a badge of honour for outstanding work in international education.
Fostering an international dimension in the curriculum is at the heart of the British Council's work with schools, as British Council chief executive, Ciarán Devane, explains.
- 1 Monster rats 'the size of cats' invade city - and get in via the LOO
- 2 WATCH: Bus and cyclist skip red light in city
- 3 New café serves a hundred customers in two hours on opening day
- 4 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
- 5 Star-studded cast announced for Norwich Theatre Royal 2021 panto
- 6 Plan for 1,600 homes would see new school and health centre open
- 7 Siblings slam council for 'backtracking' on council flat
- 8 First look as Norwich's new £2.75m recycling centre opens
- 9 EastEnders star is coming to Norwich
- 10 See inside renovated 1950s Norwich factory apartment for sale for £350,000
He said: 'The school's fantastic international work has rightfully earned it this prestigious award. The International School Award is a great chance for schools to demonstrate the important work they're doing to bring the world into their classrooms. Adding an international dimension to children's education ensures that they are truly global citizens and helps prepare them for successful future careers in an increasingly global economy.'
The award is available worldwide in countries such as India, Egypt, Lebanon and Pakistan as part of the Connecting Classrooms programme, which is delivered by the British Council and supported by the Department for International Development.
Around 5,000 International School Awards have been presented to successful schools in the UK since the scheme began in 1999.
• Has your school done something special recently? Email reporter Donna-Louise Bishop or ring 01603 772568.