Hellesdon school celebrates science success
Pupils and staff at a Hellesdon school are in with a chance of landing more than �20,000 for its science department after landing a place in the final of a national competition.
Hellesdon High has been chosen as one of the nine finalists for the 2012 Rolls-Royce Science Prize after developing an innovative teaching project which would create a grand science museum feel for their science department to excite and engage students.
As a finalist, it has been awarded �6,000 to implement the Grand Virtual Science Museum Project which will draw together virtual and practical elements creating three interactive reality resources to highlight the hidden processes of science.
If successful, the project, which will be developed over the next school year and judged in October next year, could win a further �15,000 for the school. The winning school will also spend a day with the Red Arrows Display team.
Jason Brand, director of science at the school, said: 'Our department strives to constantly improve its educational standards and help every student with his or her development from academic excellence to a fulfilling career. We are extremely proud to have been chosen as a finalist and hope to demonstrate what our students are capable of.'
The Rolls-Royce Science Prize was set up in 2004, as part of the company's ongoing drive to promote science and engineering in schools by encouraging and rewarding inspirational science teaching.
Helen Bishop, head of community investment, Rolls-Royce, said: 'The level of enthusiasm demonstrated by Hellesdon High School has been outstanding. I look forward to watching their school project progress during the coming year.'
- 1 City folk baffled after being barricaded into their own homes
- 2 All you need to know ahead of The Killers concert at Carrow Road
- 3 Fears Spurs fans may infiltrate home end at Norwich City match
- 4 Lloyds to close bank in Norwich suburb
- 5 New Japanese bar and restaurant plans to open in Norwich next month
- 6 Do you own one of these toys which are selling for £1,000?
- 7 Man arrested after hundreds of cannabis plants seized in city
- 8 One-bed maisonette is up for sale in one of the coolest parts of Norwich
- 9 The top 7 fish and chip shops in Norwich according to Tripadvisor
- 10 Owners of taco and gourmet burger trailers open restaurant in Norwich
Have you got a story for the Evening News? Call reporter Peter Walsh on 01603 772436.