Sports stars send messages as school awards go virtual
- Credit: PA Images/Archant Library
Former footballers and Norfolk TV presenter Jake Humphrey have sent inspirational video messages after a Norwich school’s sports awards could not be held as normal.
The annual sports awards at City Academy Norwich that reward the efforts of pupils are usually handed out at a ceremony attended by hundreds.
With the event not able to be held this year, the school isn’t letting coronavirus restrictions stop it and the awards will now be held virtually, broadcast via social media on Monday, June 22 at 6pm.
The event is being edited together with a montage of pictures from sport events from this year, with special messages from Jake Humphrey, Jamie Rednapp, and former Canaries striker Iwan Roberts. Peter Dickson, from the X-Factor and Britain’s Got Talent, has provided the introduction to the event.
MORE: Children send ‘smile’ to dad they have not seen since MarchNeil Moggan, director of sport, said: “Our brilliant PE technician Bryony Radley who has put this together. She sent out loads of tweets to different people asking them to get involved and send a message. She tried Marcus Rashford too, but he has been a bit busy!
“We normally have about 300 people, 150 pupils and 150 parents and family, but because this year we cannot host it the ceremony will instead be virtual and the whole school community is invited.
You may also want to watch:
“We are hoping that pupils, parents and staff will take part and it will help to bring the whole school community together.”
The award categories include attitude and effort, healthy student, E-learning student, sports leaders, as well as top performer and team of the year.
- 1 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 2 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 3 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 4 Pupils will start September term in different school over safety fears
- 5 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 6 Major £800,000 revamp proposed for busy city road
- 7 'A great guy' - Tributes to much-loved City fan who travelled home and away
- 8 Hunt for man in connection with drug dealing
- 9 Perfect plaices? Three fish and chip firms go up for sale
- 10 More than a dozen arrests in Norwich on Saturday night