Charles Clarke and Stephen Fry back Norwich Future Education campaign
A former home secretary yesterday called on Norfolk County Council to reverse its decision to cut funding for a Norwich youth project.
Charles Clarke, pictured below, who was MP for Norwich South, is full of praise for Future Education, which provides an alternative education for children with emotional and behavioural difficulties and/or a statement of educational needs.
Norfolk County Council has withdrawn a contract for alternative education. Although it has agreed to fund the current students, there is uncertainty about the school's long-term future. Mr Clarke said yesterday: 'I am a strong supporter of Future Projects as it has made a dramatic impact on the lives of many people and has strengthened our community. The county council's decision is short sighted in the extreme and should be reversed.
'I strongly support the local campaigns to keep this so the project can continue to make the invaluable contribution it does.'
Norfolk-raised actor Stephen Fry recently showed his support for the Save Future Education campaign on Twitter. He has now added further support.
You may also want to watch:
'I am backing the campaign to protect and preserve Future Education because this kind of grass-roots organisation, one that has grown out of the very community it serves, can often provide the most effective support for vulnerable young people,' he said. 'Many people are making the link between the work that Future does and the fact it helps so many of the young people in Norwich who might otherwise feel they have no stake in the world and no respected place in their community.'
To support the campaign tell us why Future Education should be saved on Twitter by using the hash tag #saveourfuture, 'like' Future Education on Facebook or write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 First look as Norwich's new £2.75m recycling centre opens
- 2 Siblings slam council for 'backtracking' on council flat
- 3 'It came out of the blue': Chinese takeaway gets one-star hygiene rating
- 4 City sees jobs bonanza – so why are job centres overflowing?
- 5 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 6 See inside renovated 1950s Norwich factory apartment for sale for £350,000
- 7 WATCH: Moment schoolgirl drenched by driver - but is it a crime?
- 8 Kiefer Sutherland announces UEA show
- 9 Plan for 1,600 homes would see new school and health centre open
- 10 City handymen on which DIY jobs you really SHOULDN'T try at home