Celebrity chef teaches Old Catton children to cook
Green mashed potato would not normally have six and seven-year-olds queuing up to tuck in.
But children at Garrick Green Infant School, in Old Catton, were licking their lips at the prospect of eating the food that they had created from scratch with the help of a very special guest.
Michelin-starred chef Galton Blackiston, pictured, called in at the school yesterday to give 24 lucky Year 2 children an expert lesson in cookery.
Mr Blackiston, owner of Morston Hall, on the north Norfolk coast, gave a demonstration in front of the children and parents, before giving them a chance to make the food.
The youngsters made Viennese biscuits, bread rolls, tomato ketchup, fish fingers, strawberry jelly, and the parsley-laden mashed potato, before tucking into the lunch they had created. Mr Blackiston, who appears on BBC's Saturday Kitchen this weekend, said that he travelled to schools in Norfolk about six times a year to educate children in the county, calling it one of the favourite parts of his job. He said: 'I absolutely love it, they are such brilliant characters. You have to be a little colourful to get them enthused about enjoying cooking, but getting that understanding is very rewarding.'
You may also want to watch:
He added: 'I'm showing them that cooking is actually a lot of fun.'
Head teacher Rebecca Dewing said: 'They are thoroughly enjoying themselves and I have been impressed with some of the questions they have been asking.
- 1 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 2 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 3 Affordable, high quality retro furniture store coming to city
- 4 Audi driver more than four times over alcohol limit in Norwich
- 5 Pupils will start September term in different school over safety fears
- 6 Large estate to have its first food store this autumn
- 7 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 8 Major £800,000 revamp proposed for busy city road
- 9 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 10 Have your say on plans for new nature reserve on edge of Norwich
'It is really lovely to have something so beautifully organised for us.'
For a photo gallery from the event visit www.eveningnews24.co.uk photo: bill smith