Celebrity chef teaches Old Catton children to cook
Green mashed potato would not normally have six and seven-year-olds queuing up to tuck in.
But children at Garrick Green Infant School, in Old Catton, were licking their lips at the prospect of eating the food that they had created from scratch with the help of a very special guest.
Michelin-starred chef Galton Blackiston, pictured, called in at the school yesterday to give 24 lucky Year 2 children an expert lesson in cookery.
Mr Blackiston, owner of Morston Hall, on the north Norfolk coast, gave a demonstration in front of the children and parents, before giving them a chance to make the food.
The youngsters made Viennese biscuits, bread rolls, tomato ketchup, fish fingers, strawberry jelly, and the parsley-laden mashed potato, before tucking into the lunch they had created. Mr Blackiston, who appears on BBC's Saturday Kitchen this weekend, said that he travelled to schools in Norfolk about six times a year to educate children in the county, calling it one of the favourite parts of his job. He said: 'I absolutely love it, they are such brilliant characters. You have to be a little colourful to get them enthused about enjoying cooking, but getting that understanding is very rewarding.'
You may also want to watch:
He added: 'I'm showing them that cooking is actually a lot of fun.'
Head teacher Rebecca Dewing said: 'They are thoroughly enjoying themselves and I have been impressed with some of the questions they have been asking.
- 1 Fire tears through historic Thorpe pub
- 2 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 3 Is your surname on this list? You could inherit a fortune
- 4 Daughters hold dad's hand one last time in emotional hospital goodbye
- 5 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 6 Bakery pushes back Norwich reopening date after daily taking dropped to £26
- 7 Coronavirus recovery centre never used in first wave to be opened
- 8 Motorcyclist taken to hospital with leg injuries after NDR crash
- 9 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 10 Plans for affordable flats for rough sleepers approved despite concerns
'It is really lovely to have something so beautifully organised for us.'
For a photo gallery from the event visit www.eveningnews24.co.uk photo: bill smith