Earlham: Petrol-heads zoom to finals
Sam EmanuelThree groups of petrol-heads from a Norwich school have competed against schools around from East Anglia in the regional final of a national karting championship.Sam Emanuel
Three groups of petrol-heads from a Norwich school have competed against schools around from East Anglia in the regional final of a national karting championship.
City Academy Norwich students were the only groups from Norfolk to get through to the stage of the British Schools Karting Championship at the Red Lodge Karting Centre, and competed against 21 teams from around the region in a bid to win a place in the national final.
The school entered eight teams in the championship after receiving a 50pc bursary from Sport England, and three of them got through to the regional final following their performance at the semi-final earlier in the year at Evolution Karting in Yarmouth.
Karl Bamber, Walter Barbas, Danny Britcher, Jonathan Freeman, Ryan Gray, Jordan Innes, Matthew Manning, Brandon Mason and
Tom Roberts all took part, and although their teams came 14th, 15th and 19th, they all thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
Jonathan said: 'We had to race with other people from other schools, and it was well good - we were racing with professionals too and we managed to keep up with them sometimes.
- 1 Teen slapped with six points on licence - but she can't even drive
- 2 Changes on the way for listed pub after plans given green light
- 3 Can you spot yourself in the Lord Mayor's Procession crowd?
- 4 Everything you need to know ahead of the Great Norwich Duck Race
- 5 Pupils reach for the rainbow for Norwich Pride Schools Week
- 6 Two neighbouring properties go up for sale - and they both need some TLC
- 7 Pirates, dragons and fireworks light up Lord Mayor's celebrations
- 8 New pub landlord welcomes back families and introduces street food menu
- 9 'Our lives changed forever' - Parents pay tribute to six-week-old Chloe
- 10 Buses damaged in city centre collision
'I'll definitely be interested in doing more if I get the opportunity.'