Earlham: Petrol-heads zoom to finals
Sam EmanuelThree groups of petrol-heads from a Norwich school have competed against schools around from East Anglia in the regional final of a national karting championship.Sam Emanuel
Three groups of petrol-heads from a Norwich school have competed against schools around from East Anglia in the regional final of a national karting championship.
City Academy Norwich students were the only groups from Norfolk to get through to the stage of the British Schools Karting Championship at the Red Lodge Karting Centre, and competed against 21 teams from around the region in a bid to win a place in the national final.
The school entered eight teams in the championship after receiving a 50pc bursary from Sport England, and three of them got through to the regional final following their performance at the semi-final earlier in the year at Evolution Karting in Yarmouth.
Karl Bamber, Walter Barbas, Danny Britcher, Jonathan Freeman, Ryan Gray, Jordan Innes, Matthew Manning, Brandon Mason and
You may also want to watch:
Tom Roberts all took part, and although their teams came 14th, 15th and 19th, they all thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
Jonathan said: 'We had to race with other people from other schools, and it was well good - we were racing with professionals too and we managed to keep up with them sometimes.
- 1 Woman taken to hospital after police incident in Norwich
- 2 Eager shoppers queue for opening of 20-year-old's vintage clothing shop
- 3 Man, 47, in court on murder charge after Thorpe stabbing
- 4 Man due in court charged with murder after fatal stabbing in Thorpe
- 5 Story behind this famous photo of when Norwich went electric in 1957
- 6 Pet carer service's appeal to survive after Covid and faulty van struggles
- 7 Long-suffering A11 drivers to benefit as 50-year-old road replaced
- 8 Man detained under mental health act after Norwich disturbance
- 9 'Good riddance' - Norwich fans react to European Super League plans
- 10 Meat factory for sale for £1.2million earmarked for homes
'I'll definitely be interested in doing more if I get the opportunity.'