Earlham: Petrol-heads zoom to finals
Sam EmanuelThree groups of petrol-heads from a Norwich school have competed against schools around from East Anglia in the regional final of a national karting championship.Sam Emanuel
Three groups of petrol-heads from a Norwich school have competed against schools around from East Anglia in the regional final of a national karting championship.
City Academy Norwich students were the only groups from Norfolk to get through to the stage of the British Schools Karting Championship at the Red Lodge Karting Centre, and competed against 21 teams from around the region in a bid to win a place in the national final.
The school entered eight teams in the championship after receiving a 50pc bursary from Sport England, and three of them got through to the regional final following their performance at the semi-final earlier in the year at Evolution Karting in Yarmouth.
Karl Bamber, Walter Barbas, Danny Britcher, Jonathan Freeman, Ryan Gray, Jordan Innes, Matthew Manning, Brandon Mason and
You may also want to watch:
Tom Roberts all took part, and although their teams came 14th, 15th and 19th, they all thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
Jonathan said: 'We had to race with other people from other schools, and it was well good - we were racing with professionals too and we managed to keep up with them sometimes.
- 1 'Disaster from start to finish': Parents slam school for failing kids
- 2 Power still out in parts of Norwich city centre six hours later
- 3 Resurfacing works to see closures on three busy city roads
- 4 New £64,000 bus lane could cut 80 seconds off journeys
- 5 People in Norwich fined £21k for failing to pay for prescriptions
- 6 Alan Carr enjoys 'delicious food' and leaves large tip at city restaurant
- 7 'Diabolical' - Fury over trees felled for road widening scheme
- 8 Family piano shop founded in 1887 is leaving the city
- 9 See how Norwich Castle's keep is being transformed
- 10 Roadworks to be aware of in Norwich this week
'I'll definitely be interested in doing more if I get the opportunity.'