Duff Morgan fundraising golf day will honour special colleague
- Credit: Bill Smith - Archant
Colleagues of a Norfolk man who died from cancer are organising a golf-day fundraiser to help improve treatment for local cancer patients.
Shaun Larkins and colleagues from the Duff Morgan car dealership in Norwich are organising the charity event to raise money for the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital's Targeted Radiotherapy Appeal and for the Brain Tumour Charity.
The event, on Sunday June 2, is a tribute to Sean Terrington, who died from cancer in September 2012. He was 44.
Mr Larkins said: 'He was a real gent to work with. Everybody loved him. He'd go out of his way to do anything for you.
'We all wanted to do something special in his memory.'
You may also want to watch:
Mr Larkins described Sean as 'one of the greatest golfers I've ever played with.
'He was very well known. He was the youngest player to represent the county at age 13 or 14.'
- 1 In photos: Norwich transformed but deserted in lockdown snowfall
- 2 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 3 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 4 Drag Race star kicks off BBC show stint with Norwich City theme
- 5 Tributes paid to 'happy and giggly' woman who died aged 23
- 6 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 7 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 8 Pizza and Yorkshire pudding wrap takeaway opening in Norwich
- 9 'Extraordinary' outbreak of Covid in Norwich prison
- 10 'Village would be worse without it' - Owner on plans for 17th century pub
The Targeted Radiotherapy appeal aims to raise £600,000 for the N&N to provide new facilities for people undergoing internal radiotherapy, known as high dose rate (HDR) brachytherapy. This would reduce treatment time for patients and could mean some patients are treated closer to home.
Mr Larkins hopes to raise over £5,000 with the event, which will take place on Sunday June 2 at the Royal Norwich Golf Club.
'We'll be doing a hole-in-one tournament, which will cost a bit, but we want it to be as enjoyable as possible. Companies can sponsor a hole for £40.' There will also be an evening buffet, an auction and a raffle.
So far, 16 teams of four will take part, though 32 teams is the target.
Mr Larkins added: 'If anybody could donate anything that would be really appreciated.'
Louise Cook, fundraising manager at NNUH, said: 'We are incredibly grateful to Sean's family and colleagues at Duff Morgan for supporting our Targeted Radio Therapy Appeal, which will benefit local cancer patients.
'They have put so much work into organising the day. We can't thank them enough for all their support.'
For further information about NNUH and to find out how to support the charity, call 01603 287107 or visit www.nnuh.nhs.uk
To donate to the appeal visit http://www.justgiving.com/NNUH-Targeted RadiotherapyAppeal
For information about the Sean Terrington Golf Day call Shaun Larkins on 07817 822763.