Don’t miss your chance of winning up to £1,000 for your community group with Community Cash and Comic Relief
- Credit: Archant
Community Cash has long supported many voluntary groups and projects across Norwich and this year the £50,000 fund will continue to give a helping hand to those who need it most.
Day of the girl are an inclusive group who work with all sections of the community to address and advocate for girls rights locally, nationally and globally.
Their group was awarded a slice of last year's grant to help them buy art resources to help them put up an exhibition at The Forum last October.
Applications for this year's fund are now open and Norwich groups are being urged to bid for a grant of up to £1,000 from Comic Relief.
The Day of the Girl project is mainly for young people aged between 7 and 16 years of age, and activities and workshops are set up to give girls opportunities to gain skills and confidence as leaders as well as engaging them in questions about girls.
You may also want to watch:
The group also encourages boys to be part of this conversation, which leaders Sarah Godfrey and Tori Cann believe is crucial in helping to make the world a fairer and safer place for girls.
Tori Cann, 28 of Norwich, said: 'We wanted to provide a space for girls and boys to talk about what is good about girls, specifically focusing on feminism and bringing conversations in to the community. We both grew up in the area, so were quite aware of the issues that were affecting girls of various ages. We wanted to engage with those conversations, and change some of the debates.
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Water starts gushing out of sinkhole on Norwich city centre road
- 3 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 4 Parts of busy Norwich road to be shut for three days for repairs
- 5 'People make slavery jokes' - Black student on racism in schools
- 6 £800k roadworks branded 'waste of time and effort'
- 7 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 8 Despair over fly-tipping and rats in city suburb
- 9 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 10 City bursts into life for Norwich Pride 2021
We have always been keen to involve parents and boys, aiming to change the way boys talk about girls, as well as challenging misconceptions.'
A Comic Relief grant of £1000 helped Day of the Girl hold their third and biggest event in The Forum in Norwich.
They took over all of atrium and exhibited children's work, as well as providing materials for young people to come and create art.
Grants are available for groups working in disadvantaged areas of Norwich, and groups have until February 23 to apply.