Dog has luckily escape after swallowing belt buckle
- Credit: Taverham Vets
A dog has had a lucky escape after swallowing a belt buckle which tore a hole in her stomach and poisoned her.
Lola, a Maltese Shih Ztu, was taken to Taverham Vets after her owners noticed she had become lethargic, started vomiting and her eyes and tongue had turned yellow.
Vet Jordan Smith started tests to try and discover what was wrong. It was found her red blood cell count was low and x-rays were taken, revealing a belt buckle in her stomach had eroded, causing zinc poisoning.
Nurse Hayley Hyam said: "Zinc toxicity is rare but when it happens the red blood cells are damaged by the zinc and then rupture or become destroyed.
"Lola required an emergency blood transfusion to help stabilise her condition before she underwent surgery to remove the belt buckle."
You may also want to watch:
Luckily a vet's dog, Basil, was the same blood type and a blood transfusion was made.
Helen Steele was able to remove the belt buckle using an endoscope through Lola's mouth. She is now at home recovering.
- 1 Tenant's despair as council fixes his windows by screwing them shut
- 2 'Eyesore' bus won't be removed despite neighbours' pleas
- 3 Man killed after collision with double-decker bus on A146 named
- 4 Huge Gothic home on edge of city cemetery is for sale for £1.2m
- 5 Neighbours' terror as bleeding man found in garden after street fight
- 6 Pet owner's fury as mystery neighbour tries to claim her cat as their own
- 7 Nearly 4,000 people wait for council homes - but fewer than 200 available
- 8 'Neighbours ran outside screaming' during street fight in Golden Triangle
- 9 'Our lives are being destroyed': Neighbours' despair over noisy students
- 10 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school