Days gone by in Drayton & Taverham in photographs

The Village Green with a truck and car in front of The Red Lion. Note: the sign for the train statio

The Village Green with a truck and car in front of The Red Lion. Note: the sign for the train station which ran from 1882 to 1959. Picture: Archant Library - Credit: Archant Library

Take a look at days gone by with these great photographs of Drayton & Taverham. The villages of Drayton and Taverham are situated around 5 miles north-west of Norwich.

Long Dairies manager Mr Charles Sinclair with deliverymen Mr Brian Wester, left, and Mr Peter Read,

Long Dairies manager Mr Charles Sinclair with deliverymen Mr Brian Wester, left, and Mr Peter Read, July 1991. Picture: Archant library - Credit: Archant

These neighbouring villages might feel like very modern Norwich suburbs, but they have a fascinating past dating back more than 1,000 years. Look closely and there is plenty of evidence of its historical significance.

The Taverham sign at the junction of Fakenham Road and Sandy Lane pictures the village's patron saint St Walstan - who was also the patron saint of farm workers and agriculture, and who worked and died in the village in 1016,

In a pleasant setting, young children and their parents enjoy the swings in the Florence Carter play

In a pleasant setting, young children and their parents enjoy the swings in the Florence Carter playing field at Drayton in July 1967. In the background is Drayton church. Picture: Archant Library - Credit: Archant Library


You may also want to watch:


And while modern housing has transformed the area in recent years, it's historic past remains at the heart of Drayton.

Most Read

The Red Lion pub is famous for its roasts today, but during the 17th century it was a busy coaching inn. Tucked behind it is the medieval St Margaret's church and the village green - a focus for community life for centuries to come.

Taverham Village sign, which pictures the village's patron saint St. Walstan, is at the junction of

Taverham Village sign, which pictures the village's patron saint St. Walstan, is at the junction of Fakenham Road and Sandy Lane. It was unveiled by the president of Taverham W.I Mrs. Barbara Shepherd, who presented it to Mr J. Bell, chairman of Taverham Parish Council on January 9, 1971. Picture: Archant Library - Credit: Archant

Copies of the images featured in this story are available to buy via our photo sales website.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter