New chaplain appointed to support Norwich hospital
- Credit: Archant
A new chaplain has been appointed at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.
The Revd Canon Captain Darren Thornton of the Church Army has joined the hospital's team to provide care and support to the community during the challenging Covid period.
Canon Thornton said: "When I offered to help, I wasn't expecting that I would come and join the hospital chaplaincy team full-time, but it feels like this is the right next challenge for me and I'm looking forward to working with the chaplaincy team to be alongside people through life's experiences as they come into the hospital.
"I have met some amazing staff at the Norfolk and Norwich and I'm looking forward to being one of the team."
Canon Thornton has come "full circle" having been chaplain at the old Norfolk and Norwich Hospital 20-years-ago.
You may also want to watch:
He has been rector of St Giles-on-the-Hill in Norwich and chaplain to the University of East Anglia for 16 years, and begins the new post in August.
- 1 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 2 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 3 Water starts gushing out of sinkhole on Norwich city centre road
- 4 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 5 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 6 Despair over fly-tipping and rats in city suburb
- 7 Parts of busy Norwich road to be shut for three days for repairs
- 8 Car catches fire after early morning crash
- 9 'People make slavery jokes' - Black student on racism in schools
- 10 Woman crashed into two cars after drinking at friend's home, court hears