Norwich paramotor pilot aims to break record after flying length of the UK
- Credit: Dan Jones Photography
A pilot who recently flew the length of the UK in a paramotor is now setting his sights on the record for the highest flight of its type in the United Kingdom.
Dan Jones, 27, flew over 800 miles from John O'Groats to Land's End in August, raising £13,000 for Alzheimer's Research UK.
The pilot learnt to fly in 2019 and said the flight was mentally and physically exhausting as he braved weather conditions and a motor failure.
Of his 800 mile journey, he said: "I’ve been overwhelmed by the support I have received from my employer Original Cottages who offered me the flexibility to complete the challenge, and the local communities across the country during my flight who provided places to stay, fields to land in, food and even fuel.
"It was truly incredible to see the breadth of the UK from the skies, it is simply stunning, and to raise money for a cause close to my heart."
But now Mr Jones is preparing to break a UK record with his next flight.
The current record for the highest paramotor flight is 21,746 ft, set by Giles Fowler in 2015.
- 1 Two neighbouring properties go up for sale - and they both need some TLC
- 2 All you need to know ahead of the Lord Mayor's Celebration 2022
- 3 Buses damaged in city centre collision
- 4 Road closures revealed for Lord Mayor's Celebration
- 5 Blaze sees 20 passengers evacuated from city bus
- 6 New pub landlord welcomes back families and introduces street food menu
- 7 Can you spot yourself in the Lord Mayor's Procession crowd?
- 8 Mobility scooter trashed by hazardous wheelie bins
- 9 Vehicles worth £50k stolen from Royal Norfolk Show
- 10 'You owe us!': Furious holidaymakers demand compo
Mr Jones' attempt is early in the planning, but he is working towards a 2023 date to give himself time to do all the necessary preparations.
In order to beat the national height record, he will need oxygen supplies past 10,000 feet and will also face temperatures of -40C.
Sonia Holman, marketing director at Original Cottages where Dan Jones is the lead videographer, said: “It’s incredible what Dan has achieved and the amount he has raised so far for such an important cause.
"Supporting and helping local communities to thrive is at the very heart of Original Cottages, and beyond the causes we support as a company, we actively encourage and empower our staff to reach their own personal fundraising ambitions.
"We were delighted to help Dan accomplish his epic paramotor challenge and are excited he is already preparing for his next challenge."
People can help Mr Jones' fundraising attempts by donating to his JustGiving page.