Cyclist dies in crash near Norwich
A cyclist in his 40s died in a two-car crash on the bend of a busy road on the northern outsirts of Norwich.
The crash happened at about 10.40pm on Tuesday night on the B1150 North Walsham Road in Beeston St Andrew, close to the Beeston Lane junction.
It involved a black Vauxhall Vectra and a black Saab, as well as the cyclist.
Paramedics were called, but the man, who has yet to be named by police, died at the scene.
The road was closed between White Woman Lane and Crostwick Lane, eventually re-opening at 2.20am yesterday morning.
Andy Anderson, 75, lives in one of the cottages near to where the accident happened. He said he had been campaigning for years for speed restrictions on the road, which had witnessed dozens of accidents in the time he had been living there.
He said: 'I was just going to bed when I heard 'bang, bang, bang' outside. I lifted the curtains and saw that two cars had gone into each other outside our house. Others cars were turning round in the road to go back the other way.
- 1 City teen named Ikea drops furniture brand as first name
- 2 Norwich chippy ranked as one of best in UK
- 3 Escaped giant eagle owl spotted in Norwich city centre
- 4 City flat with spiral staircase and balcony bedroom for sale for £190k
- 5 Owner of 'thriving' cheesecake business now looking to open shop
- 6 Toddler died after getting trapped between stair gates
- 7 'She died alone': Plea to raise funds for Ruth who died before Christmas
- 8 'It drives my wife crazy' - See inside Norwich fan's footy mancave
- 9 'What on earth!' - City folk baffled by obstacle cone stuck in pavement
- 10 Schools face classroom closures due to Covid
'It was a terrible night - cold and raining. At first I did not realise that a cyclist was also involved, and thought it may have been a pedestrian.
'This is a terrible corner on the road and there have been lots of accidents there over the years. I have been trying to get improvements made to it.'
Chloe Smith, Norwich North MP, offered her condolences to the bereaved family and friends of the cyclist.
She said: 'Although we do not yet know the full facts about the tragic accident, everyone's thoughts are with the cyclist's family and friends.'
The tragedy comes a month after another cyclist died after an accident on Norwich's roads.
Father-of-one Sam Crisp, 21, suffered fatal head injuries after his bike was in a crash with a car in Sprowston Road on Thursday, May 3.
The scene of the crash, just yards from Mr Crisp's home in Templemere became a memorial to the young man, who worked at the Menzies warehouse.
Police officers from the Serious Collision Investigation Team (SCIT) would like to hear from anyone who may have seen the crash or the manner of driving of either vehicle or the cyclist leading up to it.
They are particularly keen to speak to a woman driving a blue Vauxhall Corsa who stopped at the scene moments after the crash. The driver left before police arrived, but officers believe she may hold important information about what happened.
• Anyone who witnessed the North Walsham Road crash should call PC Ian Thexton on 101.