Crostwick: White Horse
Peter WalshWHERE IS IT? Situated just a few miles outside of Norwich the pub - which also boasts bed and breakfast accommodation - gives easy access onto the scenic Norfolk landscape and is just a short trip from the picturesque Norfolk Broads.Peter Walsh
WHERE IS IT?
Situated just a few miles outside of Norwich the pub - which also boasts bed and breakfast accommodation - gives easy access onto the scenic Norfolk landscape and is just a short trip from the picturesque Norfolk Broads. It is not hard to miss the traditional watering hole from the busy North Walsham Road as it is painted in brilliant white and, in spring and summer, is covered in pretty potted flowers.
WHAT'S IT LIKE?
You may also want to watch:
Renowned for his paintings of horses and landscapes, Sir Alfred Munnings used to use The White Horse at Crostwick as a base from which to draw inspiration for his celebrated works and it is easy to see why. Entering the pub is like taking a step back in time. A traditional looking bar awaits walkers and passers by alike. The walls of the building are adorned with fascinating trinkets from yesteryear as well as a number of pictures of white horses and stunning landscapes. The low ceilings and wooden beams make the pub look smaller than it actually is but it is an intimate venue with plenty of cubby holes to have a romantic meal or quiet drink.
- 1 'Eyesore' bus won't be removed despite neighbours' pleas
- 2 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 3 Tenant's despair as council fixes his windows by screwing them shut
- 4 Neighbours' terror as bleeding man found in garden after street fight
- 5 Huge Gothic home on edge of city cemetery is for sale for £1.2m
- 6 'Such a shame': Social media scammer targets Norwich pub
- 7 Man killed after collision with double-decker bus on A146 named
- 8 'Significant' amount of cash and electronics stolen from city home
- 9 'Neighbours ran outside screaming' during street fight in Golden Triangle
- 10 'Our lives are being destroyed': Neighbours' despair over noisy students
A good selection of real ales, bottled beers and lagers. Regulars include Adnams, Woodforde's Wherry, Greene King IPA and Old Speckled Hen. A limited, but careful thought out selection of whites, reds and rose on the wine list.
The floor space is scattered with tables normally garnished with reserved signs - always a good sign in any place that does food. The traditional menu offers a wide choice of meals from steaks, home-cooked pies, to the very best in local fish dishes. There is also an extensive specials board if there is nothing in the main menu to entice you. The only [problem is - there's too much choice.
A bustling, but still cosy traditional Norfolk pub is the charm and attraction here. They've no need to go in for gimmicks or big screen attractions. Occasional special events.
This is the type of pub that appeals to a diverse array of clientele. There are a fair number of regulars, those who come for the food, passing trade and a host of weekend walkers who pop on their way through. It is nearly always busy which tells you a lot.
t White Horse, North Walsham Road, Crostwick, 01603 737560, www.whitehorsecrostwick.co.uk