Zulu dressed Norwich woman is hoping her ‘performance’ act has the X Factor
A Norwich woman is keeping her fingers crossed she has made it through to the next round of the X Factor – even though her act is not a singing performance.
Donna Africa, whose real name is Donna Thompson, from Sprowston Road, Norwich, is waiting to hear if she has made it through after taking part in last week's auditions in Norwich.
Ms Thompson was originally asked to audition in London after sending the show a video of her Sangoma Performance Poet Act – Asimbonanga.
But the model, actress, dancer and poet, who could not get to London in time, was able to audition at the Forum last week, complete in Zulu dress, and made it through to the second stage.
She said: 'I got my audition done even though it is not a singing act but an inspirational Performance Poem Sangoma (Wise ancestral African healer) Asimbonanga Act (Zulu meaning One who has yet to be seen).'
You may also want to watch:
Ms Thompson, who moved to Norwich six years ago to be closer to her family after living in South Africa, made it through to the second stage and had another chance to impress producers last week, but is now waiting to see if she has progressed any further. She will find out by the end of the month whether she has been successful.
She said: 'I'm hoping, but I don't know. It's not a singing act but I wanted to showcase creative arts and written talents.
- 1 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 2 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 3 Hethersett student offered place at prestigious music school
- 4 Work under way to build new Lidl alongside NDR
- 5 Office plan revealed for part of disused city pub
- 6 Police still at scene of daylight knife attack
- 7 Traffic shake-ups put forward for four roads in Norwich
- 8 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 9 Man seriously injured after crash
- 10 Fears planning shake-up will threaten Norwich city centre
'I think it's great if you're blessed with a good voice, but I wanted to showcase and highlight people like myself who write poems.
My Performance Poem Act 'Asimbonanga' is about my journey in realising my African dreams and one to inspire others to believe and realise their dreams.'
Have you made it through? Call reporter Peter Walsh on 01603 772436 or email firstname.lastname@example.org