Warning to shoppers after ‘purse dippers’ jailed
Shoppers in Norwich are urged to be aware of tactics used by purse dippers following the sentencing of two offenders.
Two women were given prison sentences last week after admitting carrying out a number of thefts in the city, targeting the elderly.
Ivanka Ivanova, 39, was sentenced to 32 weeks imprisonment while he co-defendant, Minka Yankieva, 47, was given a 16-week sentence.
Inspector Jon Chapman, from the Norwich East team, said: “Suspects will often work in teams where one person will distract the victim while the other steals the purse. Other tactics include bumping into or brushing up closely to the victim, giving them the opportunity to slip their hand into an open bag or handbag.
“While this isn’t a big problem in Norwich, we would ask shoppers to be mindful of this activity, keeping a close eye on your property and in a closed bag wherever possible.”
You may also want to watch:
Ivanova and Yankieva, both of no fixed address, appeared at Norwich Magistrates Court for sentencing on Thursday, August 27 after pleading guilty to thefts at an earlier hearing.
Ivanova admitted six thefts while Yankieva pleaded guilty to two thefts, all committed between May and July in Norwich.
- 1 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 2 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 3 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 4 Pupils will start September term in different school over safety fears
- 5 Major £800,000 revamp proposed for busy city road
- 6 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 7 'A great guy' - Tributes to much-loved City fan who travelled home and away
- 8 Hunt for man in connection with drug dealing
- 9 Perfect plaices? Three fish and chip firms go up for sale
- 10 More than a dozen arrests in Norwich on Saturday night