Search

UPDATE: Tributes to Norwich man killed in Prince of Wales Road

PUBLISHED: 06:30 15 August 2011 | UPDATED: 10:21 15 August 2011

Floral tributes close to the spot in Prince of Wales Road, Norwich, where a 43-year-old man was attacked. He subsequently died in hospital.

Floral tributes close to the spot in Prince of Wales Road, Norwich, where a 43-year-old man was attacked. He subsequently died in hospital.

Archant

Tributes have been paid to a Norwich man who died after he was attacked outside a Prince of Wales Road nightclub.

A man is due to appear in court today charged with the manslaughter of 43-year-old Alan Jewitt, who died after he was assaulted near Chicago’s nightclub in the early hours of Friday morning.

Police yesterday named Mr Jewitt, of Gertrude Road, in the north of the city, as the victim of the attack and floral tributes have been laid near the spot where he was attacked.

A note attached to a bouquet of flowers read: “Alan, life is so cruel! I will look after your Sally, Niamh and Jamie as best I can for you. Sweet dreams bud, lots of love, your mate Maz xx”.

The note on another floral tribute, in a child’s handwriting, states: “I will never forget you. RIP”.

Staff from the nearby Hong Kong Fusion restaurant also placed a bouquet offering their sympathies to Alan’s family, while a maroon scarf was tied around the tree next to the tributes.

A murder enquiry was launched by the joint Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team after the man died in the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital on Friday afternoon.

He had been taken there by ambulance after he suffered head injuries in the assault. Police had been called to the scene at around 2.25am on Friday.

A Home Office post mortem examination held on Saturday established the man had died from a bleed to the brain.

Six men were arrested in connection with the incident.

They were two 30-year-olds from the Milton Keynes area, a 36-year-old, a 27-year-old and a 37-year-old from the London area and a 43-year-old man.

Five of the men have been released without charge, but the 27-year-old man was yesterday charged with manslaughter.

Ion Lacatus, from London, was remanded in custody and is due to appear at Norwich Magistrates Court today.

Police stressed this was an isolated incident outside a city nightclub and was not being linked to any of the unrest which has happened across the rest of the country.

Detectives said clubbers and pubgoers could hold the key to solving the murder and appealed for them to call the police with any information, no matter how insignificant it might seem.

Detective Chief Inspector Neil Luckett, who is heading the investigation, said: “It was a particularly busy time of night in an area frequented by hundreds of pub and club goers.

“We would therefore like to speak to anyone who believes they may have witnessed the altercation which has sadly led to the death of the victim.

“No matter how insignificant you may think the information is we would still like to hear from you.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Chief Inspector Neil Luckett at Norfolk Constabulary on 0845 456 4567 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.

• If you know the victim and want to pay tribute to him, call reporter Dan Grimmer on 01603 772375 or email dan.grimmer@archant.co.uk

Related articles

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Norwich Evening News

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists