Thieves rip lights from wall of Norwich restaurant
- Credit: Archant
A city restaurant boss was 'distressed' when he discovered brazen thieves had stolen almost £2,000 of lights from the front of his eaterie.
Monty Ali, owner of Rishi Bangladeshi restaurant in Mousehold Lane, Norwich, saw the damage when he arrived to start evening service.
Cables attaching the distinctive red and green lights to the wall had been cut, and seven of the £250 units had been stolen.
It happened in daylight on Friday, February 20, between the lunch service which finished at 2pm and the evening service starting at 6pm.
Mr Ali employs eight staff and said he had worked hard to build the
You may also want to watch:
business over the last four years.
'When I was going through the door I noticed there were no lights on the front of my building,' he said. 'I called the police.
- 1 Norfolk fuel update: Football match called off as crisis reaches day five
- 2 Police probe launched after video shows officer kick out
- 3 Police called as Horsford tree-hacker strikes again
- 4 Queues and pump closures continue across city
- 5 Norwich nostalgia: Visit Eaton Park in the 1990s
- 6 Winners of the Eat Out Norwich Awards 2021 announced
- 7 'Goth' mum heckled in street hits back at haters
- 8 Cob yobs launch crops at homes in bizarre attack
- 9 Monster rats 'the size of cats' invade city - and get in via the LOO
- 10 Three cars smash into wall at petrol station as bosses take action
'There's no point losing your temper, and I'm quite calm.
'But I was quite distressed.
'The lights were the most beautiful thing in my restaurant.'
He said that he was insured and that the lights would be replaced.
But feared that he may be targeted again if the offenders were not caught.
'Someone must have seen it,' he said. 'It was in daylight.'
He has even put up a reward – in the form of a £100 meal voucher – for anyone who can provide police with information leading to the arrest of the culprit.
The restaurant was formerly the Duke of Norfolk pub, before
reopening as Rishi in January 2011.
Police confirmed they were aware of the incident.
Call Norwich North Safer Neighbourhood Team with information on 101.
Alternatively call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.