Thieves rip lights from wall of Norwich restaurant
- Credit: Archant
A city restaurant boss was 'distressed' when he discovered brazen thieves had stolen almost £2,000 of lights from the front of his eaterie.
Monty Ali, owner of Rishi Bangladeshi restaurant in Mousehold Lane, Norwich, saw the damage when he arrived to start evening service.
Cables attaching the distinctive red and green lights to the wall had been cut, and seven of the £250 units had been stolen.
It happened in daylight on Friday, February 20, between the lunch service which finished at 2pm and the evening service starting at 6pm.
Mr Ali employs eight staff and said he had worked hard to build the
business over the last four years.
'When I was going through the door I noticed there were no lights on the front of my building,' he said. 'I called the police.
- 1 'I can't lose!' City fan places 150/1 bet on Canaries dismal scoring record
- 2 Greater Anglia application to demolish train station thrown out
- 3 Seven Sprowston neighbours scoop £30,000 lottery win
- 4 Asteroid bigger than any building on Earth to be visible in Norfolk skies
- 5 Superhero City fan vows 'months of abuse' will not stop him
- 6 What is this mystery tower that has sprung up in Norwich?
- 7 Load of Bull! Anger as Red Bull ramps up threat against Norwich gin firm
- 8 Revealed: All the places you can fly to from Norwich Airport this year
- 9 WATCH: Inside abandoned static caravan left to rot in city suburb
- 10 Should cars be banned from Norwich's steepest hill?
'There's no point losing your temper, and I'm quite calm.
'But I was quite distressed.
'The lights were the most beautiful thing in my restaurant.'
He said that he was insured and that the lights would be replaced.
But feared that he may be targeted again if the offenders were not caught.
'Someone must have seen it,' he said. 'It was in daylight.'
He has even put up a reward – in the form of a £100 meal voucher – for anyone who can provide police with information leading to the arrest of the culprit.
The restaurant was formerly the Duke of Norfolk pub, before
reopening as Rishi in January 2011.
Police confirmed they were aware of the incident.
Call Norwich North Safer Neighbourhood Team with information on 101.
Alternatively call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.