Teen climbs huge city crane for Extinction Rebellion protest
- Credit: Archant
Police have made three arrests after a teenager scaled a huge city crane and unfurled Extinction Rebellion protest banners.
The 17-year-old, known only as Alex, climbed the crane on Duke Street at about 6.30am for the dramatic climate change protest.
He is understood to still be on the crane, while three of his supporters at ground level have been arrested.
The large yellow banner and a blue XR banner can be seen fluttering gently in the breeze.
At least three uniformed officers and others in plain clothes have been called to the incident.
You may also want to watch:
Part of Duke Street has been cordoned off while officers work to resolve the situation.
An XR spokesman said: “Alex is just 17 years old and is deeply concerned about our government’s failure to act on the climate and ecological emergency, both locally, nationally, and globally. He feels there is no option left but to break the law and somehow get the message to the public.
- 1 Norwich restaurants and pubs reopening in April
- 2 New pasta and cocktail bar to open in Norwich
- 3 Tributes to the 'face of Norwich bus station' after Covid death
- 4 Driver fined after leaving queue before entering Co-Op
- 5 Emma Thompson and Peaky Blinders actor to star in new film shot in Norwich
- 6 'Spoiled the enjoyment' - Park bench damaged as engraving cut off
- 7 When can I go to the beach? Lockdown travel questions answered
- 8 Calls for bridge to stop A47 dualling work leaving villagers cut off
- 9 'Stay local' warning and visitors fined after hundreds head to Sea Palling
- 10 Road to close for three nights for £100,000 work
“He is desperate and is prepared to be arrested and face the criminal justice system, as it’s nothing compared to the threat of climate collapse.
“He is begging people to act for his generation, and is prepared to do anything it takes to wake people up.
“If this action was not to your taste, please tell us what it will take for you to pressure the government to take action on the climate emergency, and he will do that.”